Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 2 có đáp án
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 2 có đáp án
Nhằm giúp các bạn học sinh có tài liệu ôn tập những kiến thức, kĩ năng cơ bản, và biết cách vận dụng giải các bài tập một cách nhanh nhất và chính xác. Hãy tham khảo Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 2 có đáp án mà VnDoc.com sưu tầm và đăng tải sau đây.
Choose the word that has main stress placed differently from the others.
1. a. celebrate b. decorate c. entertain d. influence
2. a: polite b. popular c. pagoda d. agrarian
3. a. longevity b. calendar c. parade d. occasion
4. a. represent b. exchange c. receiving d. prepare
5. a. constancy b. festival c. activity d. comment
A. Choose the one word or phrase - a, b, c, or d - that best completes the sentences or substitutes for the underlined part.
6. Before Tet, supermarkets and shops are full _______ goods.
a. of b. with c. in d. for
7. On the first -day of Tet, children _______ their new clothes and make New Year's wishes to their parents.
a. take on b. pick on c. put on d. try on
8. People believed that what they do on the first day of the year will _______ their luck during the whole year.
a. control b. influence c. exchange d. result
9. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find _______ at all.
a. no one b. anyone c. someone d. somebody
10. Tet is really a time of fun and _______ throughout the country.
a. holidays b. celebrations c. preparations d. festivals
11. The whole family usually tries to get together at Christmas.
a. contact b. gather c. relate d. communicate
12. In Britain Christmas dinner usually _______ turkey, Christmas pudding and brandy butter.
a. brings on b. serves with c. consists of d. puts up
13. We wish you both- health and longevity.
a. long life b. happy life c. easy life d. exciting life
14. Vietnamese people usually make _______ for Tet several weeks beforehand.
a. preparing b. preparation c. preparatory d. preparations
15. She has as good chance as _______ of winning the race.
a. someone b. anyone c. everyone d. no one
B. Choose the one word or phrase - a, b, c, or d - that best completes the sentences.
16. Nobody was late for the meeting last night, _______?
a. wasn't he b. weren't they c. were they d. was he
17. No girl should have to wear school uniform, because it _______ like a sack of potatoes.
a. makes them look b. makes her look
c. makes them to look d. makes her to look
18. I phoned Sarah at home, but _______.
a. there were no answers b. there were no answer
c. there was no answers d. there was no answer
19. _______ thinks that Phil should be given the job.
a. A number of people b. Neither of us
c. Most of us d. The majority of people
20. Neither Jane nor her brothers _______ a consent form for tomorrow's field trip.
a. need b. needs c. is needing d. has need
21. My cousin who I used to visit every summer _______ from America on Saturday.
a. arriving b. is arriving c. has arrived d. is going
22. The holiday nowadays is not as long as it _______.
a. is used to be b. was used to be c. used to be d. is used to being
23. If I were you, _______ and tell her you're going to be late.
a. I phone b. I'll phone c. I'd phone d. I'd have phoned
24. Let the boy _______ it himself before you offer to help.
a. try b. to try c. trying d. will try
25. When someone ____ you a present, it is a custom to give them in return.
a. give b. gives c. will give d. has given
A. Choose the word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
From (31) _______ times people have celebrated the end of winter and the new life that spring brings. One of the most important Christian festivals is Easter, (32) _______ Christians remember the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Easter, however, is not the (33) _______ spring festival. In Sweden, people celebrate the end of the winter by making (34) _______ bonfires. Fire also plays an important part in the Hindu festival of Holi. In some villages children are (35) _______ round bonfires by their mothers to protect them (36) _______ danger in the coming year. Buddhists in Thailand soak (37) _______ in water when celebrating their New Year, which (38) _______ in the middle of April. In Antigua in Guatemala they carpet the streets with flowers. Chinese spring parades are (39) _______ colourful, but (40) _______ flowers they have large dragon puppets which dance in the streets.
31. a. earliest b. latest c. previous d. old
32. a. which b. when c. because d. by then
33. a. single b. one c. only d. lonely
34. a. giant b. tremedous c. extreme d. huge
35. a. gone b. carried c. brought d. run
36. a. in b. out of c. against d. from
37. a. through b. one other c. each other d. mutually
38. a. falls b. appears c. happens d. occurs
39. a. the same b. as c. not less d. equally
40. a. instead of b. on behalf of c. in spite of d. place of
B. Read the passage carefully then choose the correct answers.
In Viet Nam, there is great excitement built up well before Tet Nguyen Dan. First, every family organizes a trip to the cemetery to visit the graves of their ancestor. After that, to create an air of prosperity, wealth and fun for the first three days of the Lunar New Year, people are kept busy cooking traditional foods, buying gifts, and making other preparations. Certain items deemed to be bought or made are banh chung, dried watermelon seeds, tea, dried sausages, fruit (fresh and candied), ornamental plants and flowers. Red and yellow flowers are ideal as they make the house more welcoming. On the New Year's days, only good comments and wishes can be expressed. Children receive their Ii xi (or red envelopes with lucky money inside). People make a visit to family members, neighbors, and close friends. And people who live apart from their family try to get together on these days. Clearly enough, games and various forms of entertainment are staged and these often last a week. Varying traditional specialties including wrestling, buffalo fighting, dragon or unicorn dancing take place in different regions.
41. Before Tet, people usually _________.
a. are very busy with the preparations
b. have great excitement and fun
c. rebuild their ancestral graves
d. spend time on traveling
42. Which of the following, according to the passage, is not usually eaten during Tet?
a. candied ginger b. sausages c. watermelon d. beef stew
43. Why are red and yellow flowers popular in decorating the house at Tet?
a. Because they are friendly and pleasant:
b. Because they make the house look comfortable to be in.
c. Because they represent good luck.
d. Because they are attractive and cheap.
44. On the New Year's days, _________.
a. people are busy cooking traditional foods
b. everybody receives their 'lucky money'
c. only good comments can be made
d. houses are cleaned and decorated with trees and flowers
45. Which of the following is not mentioned in the passage?
a. Tet is period of concord and hope.
b. Tet is a sort of bond that ties the living and the dead.
c. Tet is a great season of joy and of entertainment.
d. Tet is an occasion for a family reunion.
46. Especially important to many people _________.
a. there is legislation against pollution b. is legislation against pollution
c. it is legislation against pollution d. legislation against pollution is
47. According to some educators, the goal of teaching is to help students learn what _________ to know to live a well-adjusted and successful life.
a. do they need b. they need
c. they are needed d. as they may need.
48. Mike hasn't begun working on his Ph. D. _________ working on his master's.
a. still because he is yet b. yet as a result he is still
c. yet because he is still d. still while he is already
49. _________ is extremely dangerous.
a. At very high speeds driving cars b. Cars at very high speeds driving
c. Cars driving at very high speeds d. Driving cars at very high speeds
50. Not until the seventeenth century _______ to measure the speed of light.
a. anyone did even attempt b. did anyone even attempt
c. even did anyone attempt d. did even attempt anyone
B. Choose the sentence - a, b, c or d - which is closest in meaning to the sentence printed before.
51. No one else must know this.
a. You are not advised to know this.
b. Everyone else must be silent.
c. This must be kept secret.
d. You should let every one else know this.
52. Would you like some coffee? Peter asked me.
a. Peter offered to give me some coffee.
b. peter asked me if I liked coffee.
c. Peter asked me to make him a cup of coffee.
d. Peter suggested having coffee.
53. We could have seen the movie if the tickets had not been so expensive.
a. We wanted to see the movie, but the tickets were sold out.
b. We couldn't afford the tickets to see the movie.
c. We saw the movie even though the tickets were expensive.
d. The tickets were inexpensive, so we saw the movie.
54. There was very little response to the charity appeal.
a. Nobody responded to the charity appeal.
b. Everybody seemed to appeal to the charity.
c. They raised a lot of money from the charity appeal.
d. Very little money was raised by the charity appeal.
55. He talked about nothing except the weather.
a. His sole topic of conversation was the weather.
b. He had nothing to say about the weather.
c. He talked about everything but the weather.
d. He said he had not interested in the weather.