Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 10: Endangered Species có đáp án - Số 3
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 10: Endangered Species - TEST 3
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 10: Endangered Species có đáp án - Số 3 sẽ giúp quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh có thêm tài liệu tham khảo phục vụ cho công tác giảng dạy và học tập môn Tiếng Anh. Các tài liệu về chủ đề này được chúng tôi sưu tầm, tuyển chọn và tổng hợp thành bộ sưu tập giúp quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh dễ dàng tìm kiếm. Mời quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh tham khảo.
Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
1. a. extinction b. animal c. classify d. primary
2. a. biologist b. seriously c. commercial d. identify
3. a. habitat b. different c. industry d. introduce
4. a. medicine b. endanger c. addition d. survival
5. a. derive b. provide c. modern d. depend
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
6. They eventually realize that reckless _______ of the earth's resources can lead only to eventual global disaster.
a. exploit b. exploitable c. exploitation d. exploitative
7. Farmers make their soil more productive by distributing _______.
a. fertile b. fertility c. fertilizers d. fertilizable
8. Chemical wastes from factories are _______ that cause serious damage to species habitats.
a. pollutes b. pollutants c. pollutions d. polluters
9. Contamination and global warming have driven many species of animals and plants _______ the threat of extinction.
a. for b. to c. with d. on
10. Although we are aware _______ the importance of environment, we still overexploit it.
a. from b. on c. for d. of
11. They have built a particular reserve' which is suitable _______ pandas.
a. at b. upon c. in d. for
12. We should do something immediately to conserve _______ nature
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
13. Everyone knows what is happening to _______ earth but we just do not know how to stop it.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
14. Many species have become extinct each year before biologists can identify them.
a. destroy b. drain c. endanger d. discover
15. If an area is _______, all the trees there are cut down or destroyed.
a. endangered b. deforested c. contaminated d. polluted
16. Humans depend on species diversity to provide food, clean air and water, and fertile soil for agriculture.
a. raise b. produce c. supply d. reserve
17. Many schools provide environmental education to increase students' awareness of conservation needs.
a. effort b. benefit c. exploitation d. knowledge
18. All the countries of the area have _______ to protect their wildlife but they are rarely enforced.
a. efforts b. law c. results d. reserves
19. Forest dwellers had always hunted the local _______ but their needs had been small.
a. wildlife b. commerce c. reserve d. generation
20. Keep quiet. You _______ talk so loudly in here. Everybody is working.
a. may b. must c. might d. mustn't
21. John is not at home. He _____ go somewhere with Daisy. I am not sure.
a. might b. will c. must d. should
22. _______ I have a day off tomorrow? - Of course not. We have a lot of things to do.
a. Must b. Will c. May d. Need
23. The computer _______ reprogramming. There is something wrong with the software.
a. must b. need c. should d. may
24. _______ I be here by 6 o'clock? - No, you _______.
a. Shall/mightn't b. Must/ needn't c. Will/ mayn't d. Might/ won't
25. If I had gone white water rafting with my friends, I _______ down the Colorado River right now.
a. should have floated b. must be floating
c. would be floating d. would have been floating
26. You _______ touch that switch, whatever you do.
a. mustn't b. needn't c. won't d. wouldn't
27. Susan ___ hear the speaker because the crowd was cheering so loudly.
a. mustn't b. couldn't c. can't d. needn't
28. You _______ be rich to be a success. Some of the most successful people I know haven't got a penny to their name.
a. needn't b. couldn't c. mayn't d. mustn't
29. - Oh no! I completely forgot we were supposed to pick Jenny up at the airport this morning.
- She _______ there waiting for us
a. needn't sit b. might still sit c. must still be sitting d. should have sat
30. Jane often wears beautiful new clothes. She _______ be very rich.
a. must b. could c. might d. needn't
Choose a, b, c, or d that best fills in the blank.
31. I have done this math problem at least twenty times, but my answer is wrong according to the answer key. _______
a. The answer in the book should be wrong!
b. The book needn't have a wrong answer.
c. There is a wrong answer in the book.
d. The answer in the book must be wrong!
32. When I was a child, as we were having dinner, my grandmother always used to say, "_______. "
a. One must not eat with one's mouth open
b. You should have eaten with your mouth open.
c. Open your mouth and eating
d. One needn't open his mouth to eat
33. _______ We have still got plenty of food.
a. You should have bought some more to eat.
b. You needn't have gone to the supermarket.
c. We must have bought some more food.
d. May I go to the supermarket?
34. John passed his exam with a distinction. _______.
a. He was too lazy to succeed b. He can't have studied very hard
c. He must have studied very hard d. He needs studying harder
35. _______. We got there far too early.
a. We needn't have hurried b. We should hurry up
c. Hurry up or we will be late d. We must have walked hurriedly
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
By the year 2025, the Earth could lose as many as one fifth of all species known to exist today. In recent centuries, hundreds of species have disappeared, almost always as a result of human activities. The passenger pigeon, one familiar example, was a source of food until excessive hunting and habitat loss caused its extinction in 1914. The North American bison, whose populations were decimated by settlers and market hunters in the 1800s, came close to sharing the same fate. Bison survive today only because of the efforts of early conservationists.
Today, species require such efforts more urgently than ever. An essential task that falls to present-day conservationists is to determine which species are most, endangered, so that conservation resources' can be applied where action is needed most. Species are categorized by the degree to which their survival in the wild is threatened. World Wildlife Fund offers a sampling of animals and plants that fall mainly within the two most serious categories of- threat: critically endangered and endangered. What threatens these species' existence? Some of the top threats are habitat destruction by unsustainable logging and ever-encroaching human settlement; pollution of water, soil, and air by toxic chemicals; unnatural climate changes due to fossil fuel use; unmanaged fishing that exhausts fish stocks; and illegal hunting to supply the demand for skins, hides, traditional medicines, food, and tourist souvenirs. The list which conservationists presents only a fraction of the species at risk of extinction today and does not include thousands of species whose status we do not yet know. Hundreds of species without common names have been left out, which means that while many mammals are on this list, only a few insects and mollusks are included.
Species listed here range from the largest animal on Earth, the blue whale, to the majestic tiger, to the humble thick-shell pond snail. Large or small, beautiful or ugly, all species play a role in the complex circle of life. All of us depend on the natural resources of our planet. Each time a species is lost, the complexity, natural balance, and beauty of our world is diminished. And what threatens plants and animals ultimately threatens people as well.
36. According to the first paragraph _______.
a. species extinction is only caused by hunting
b. human beings protect wife life much more than they do harm to them
c. the main cause of species extinction is human activities
d. we can stop radically species extinction by 2025
37. The North American bison _______.
a. was completely extinct in 1800s
b. was not the aim of human hunting
c. was raised by settlers in 1800s
d. has escaped from extinction thanks to conservationists
38. Species are categorized _______.
a. to prevent hunting b. to provide food
c. to destroy their habitats d. to give preferential right to conserve
39. Which sentence is true?
a. Medicine is not a factor to cause species extinction.
b. The list which conservationists present does not include all kinds of species.
c. Pollution does nothing to species extinction.
d. Conservationists have good knowledge of all kinds of mollusks.
40. According to the last paragraph, _______.
a. species extinction has no relationship to human beings
b. what threaten plants and animals can do nothing to human beings
c. human beings depend on natural resources to survive
d. not every, species has a role in the circle of life.
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
Nearly 200 of the 1500 native plant species in Hawaii are at risk of going extinct in the near future because they have been (41) _____ to such low numbers. Approximately 90 percent of Hawaii's plants are found nowhere else in the world but they are (42) _____ by alien invasive species such as feral goats, pigs, rodents and non- (43) _____ plants.
The Hawaii Rare Plant Restoration Group is striving to (44) _____ the extinction of the 182 rare Hawaiian plants with fewer than 50 individuals remaining in the (45) _____. Since 1990, (46) _____ a result of their 'Plant Extinction Prevention Program', sixteen species have been brought into (47) _____ and three species have been reintroduced. Invasive weeds have been removed in key areas and fencing put up in order to (48) _ plants in the wild.
In the future the Hawaii Rare Plant Restoration Program aims (49) _____ collecting genetic material from the remaining plants in the wild for storage as a safety net for the future. They also aim to manage wild populations and where possible reintroduce species into (50) _____