Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 11: Books có đáp án - Số 1
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 11: Books có đáp án
Khi các bạn chuyên cần luyện tập các dạng bài này, các bạn sẽ ngày càng tiến bộ trong môn học, đặc biệt sẽ thêm tự tin để làm thật tốt các bài kiểm tra, thi. Để có được Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 11: Books có đáp án này, các bạn chỉ cần bỏ ra ít phút cùng thao tác download đơn giản trên trang web VnDoc.com. Mời các bạn tải và luyện tập ngay với các bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 12 này.
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. a. picture b. action c. question d. fu ure
2. a. swallow b. below c. slowly d. allow
3. a. enough b. loud c. about d. am nt
4. a. reading b. easy c. pleasure d. please
5. a. killed b. enjoyed c. described d. digested
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
6. It is important ________ students to read as many books as possible.
a. up b. about c. to d. for
7. Who does the book belong ________?
a. for b. to c. on d. through
8. He picked ________ the book and turned page after page.
a. up b. on c. away d. in
9. Read the book ________ and you can find the information you need.
a. care b. careful c. carefulness d. carefully
10. Not many people find reading more ________ than watching TV.
a. interest b. interested c. interesting d. interestingly
11. To become a novelist, you need to be ________.
a. imagine b. imagination c. imaginative d. imaginarily
12. A ________ is a story long enough to fill a complete book, in which the characters and events are usually imaginary.
a. pleasure b. novel c. page d. review
13. A ________ is the story of a person's life written by somebody else.
a. romance b. fiction c. biography d. science
14. When a reader reads an interesting book slowly and carefully, he ____ it
a. reviews b. chews and digests c. swallows d. dips into
15. Since their appearance, books are a previous ________ of knowledge and pleasure.
a. source b. pile c. amount d. sum
16. Many teenagers are not much ________ in reading books, except for what they are made to read at school
a. excited b. important c. slow d. interested
17. This book ________ to Peter. It is not mine.
a. possesses b. owns c. has d. belong
18. Have you ever read ________ "Oliver Twist", ________ interesting novel written by Charles Dickens?
a. the/ the b. Ø/ an c. Ø/ Ø d. an/ the
19. I like ________ books better than ________ films.
a. Ø/ Ø b. the/ the c. Ø/ the d. the/ Ø
20. The room is too dirty. It ________ now.
a. should clean b. should have cleaned
c. should be cleaning d. should be being cleaned
21. The situation ________ to continue.
a. cannot allow b. cannot be allowed
c. cannot have allowed d. cannot be allowing
22. The machine ________ on by pressing this switch.
a. can turn b. can be turned c. must turn d. should be turning
23. Everybody agrees that no more staff ________.
a. should employ b. should not be employed
c. will not be employed d. will he employed
24. Things ________ clear to them so that they can do the work in the way that you have told them.
a. are making b. ought to be made c. have made d. needn't be made
25. Cigarettes ________ at a bakery.
a. most buy b. cannot buy c. cannot be bought d. should not buy
26. The next meeting ________ in May.
a. will hold b. will be held c. will be holding d. will have held
27. ________ in simpler words?
a. Has this issue expressed b. Can't this issue express
c. Can this issue express d. Couldn't this issue be expressed
28. All traffic laws ________.
a. is observed b. must be observed
c. must have observed d. had better observe
29. Tomatoes ________ before they are completely ripe.
a. can be picked b. can pick c. needn't pick d. should be picking
30. This letter ________, not handwritten.
a. should be typing b. should be typed
c. needn't type d. needn't be typed
Choose the best clause or phrase to complete the following sentence.
31. The Old Man and the Sea is a novel of just over 100 pages in length by Ernest Hemingway, ________.
a. who should have written it and published it in 1952
b. it was written in Cuba in 1951 and it was published in 1952
c. which must have written and published in 1952
d. written in Cuba in 1951 and published in 1952
32. The story centers upon Santiago, ________.
a. he is the main character, an aging Cuban fisherman, he struggles with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream.
b. the main character, an old Cuban fisherman, to struggle with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream.
c. who was a Cuban old fisherman struggles with a giant marlin off the Gulf Stream.
d. an aging Cuban fisherman who struggles with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream.
33. ________. Two days and nights' pass in this manner, during which the old man bears the tension of the line with his body.
a. The fish is too huge to pull his boat
b. The fish is so huge that it pulls his boat
c. The fish is very huge pulling his boat
d. The huge fish it pulls his boat
34. When he reaches the coast, there is only the skeleton of the fish left because a pack of sharks follow the trail to Santiago's boat ________.
a. so that the marlin is bitten largely by each of them
b. it is taken an enormous bite by each shark
c. and each shark takes an enormous bite out of the marlin
d. but each shark takes the marline an enormous bite
35. The Old Man and the Sea is noteworthy in twentieth century fiction, reaffirming Hemingway's worldwide literary prominence
a. as well as being a significant factor in his selection for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954
b. he was a significant factor in his selection for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954
c. a significant factor because of he was selected for the Nobel Prize in Literature in1954
d. but to be a significant factor in his selection for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
It is often said that books are always a good friends and reading is an active mental process. Unlike TV, books make you use your brain. By reading, you think more and become smarter. Reading improves concentration and focus. Reading books takes brain power. It requires you to focus on what you are reading for long periods. Unlike magazines, Internet posts or e-Mails that might contain small pieces of information. Books tell the whole story". Since you must concentrate in order to read, you will get better at concentration. Many studies show if you do not use your memory; you lose it. Reading helps you stretch your memory muscles. Reading requires remembering details, facts and figures and in literature, plot lines, themes and characters.
Reading is a good way to improve your vocabulary. Do you remember that when you were at elementary school you learned how to infer the meaning of one word by reading the context of the other words in the sentence? While reading books, especially challenging ones, you will find yourself exposed to many new words.
Reading is a fundamental skill builder. Every good course has a matching book to go with it. Why? Because books help clarify difficult subjects. Books provide information that goes deeper than just classroom discussions By reading more books you become better informed and more of an expert on the topics you read about. This expertise translates into higher self-esteem. Since you are so well-read, people look to you for answers. Your feelings about yourself can only get better.
Books give you knowledge of other cultures and places. The more information you have got, the richer your knowledge is. Books can expand your horizons by letting you see what other cities and countries have to offer before you visit them.
36. Books have great influence on ________.
a. TV b. friendship c. brain d. muscles
37. When you are reading a book, ________.
a. you have to read small pieces of information
b. you use your brain in concentration and focus
c. you have to read during a very long time
d. you lose your memory
38. A challenging book ________.
a. helps you to improve your vocabulary b. is only for primary pupils
c. can translate all new words d. contains a lot of difficult vocabulary
39. Books ________.
a. are compulsory in every course
b. are not needed in most of course
c. contain less information than class discussions
d. make a sick patient feel better
40. Books cannot give you ________.
a. knowledge b. information c. self-esteem d. muscles
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
When a child learns to read and write, he must access the schema developed in his (41) ______. As he reads, the child creates pictures in his mind and uses (42) _____ and points of reference to put the story (43) ____. Television images do not go through a complex symbolic transformation. The mind does not have to decode and manipulate during the television experience. Watching television and playing video games do not (44) ______ a child's skills in word recognition, decoding, vocabulary, spelling or high-level thinking. The connection between television's effects (45) ______ children's reading abilities and the (46) ______ in their writing skills is clear: there is no question in the minds of educators that a student who cannot read with the true comprehension will never learn to write well. Writing, after (47) ______, is book talk, and you only learn book talk by reading. It has been shown that reading stimulates brain activity. While reading, we imagine settings, characters and we become part of the world of the story. (48) ______, it has been shown that watching television prevents brain activity. Children who watch too much television are less socially developed and have problems maintaining (49) ______. Reading, (50) ______ of watching television, enriches our lives, develops the imagination, and intellect, and is less brain deadening. Reading is good for us, it makes one a better person.