Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 14 INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS có đáp án (1)
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 14 có đáp án (1)
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 14 INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS có đáp án (1) sẽ mang lại cho các em học sinh các kiến thức bổ ích, cho quý thầy cô giáo những tài liệu giảng dạy hay nhất. Bộ sưu tập này sẽ mang đến cho học sinh các bài tập trong Unit 14 Tiếng Anh 12 nhằm giúp các em củng cố từ vựng và cấu trúc ngữ pháp đã học.
Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
1. a. civilian b. official c. temporary d. tsunami
2. a. colleague b. appall c. devote d. victim
3. a. initiate b. medical c. rapidly d. possible
4. a. volunteer b. wherever c. example d. disaster
5. a. injured b. famine c. earthquake d. result
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
6. According to the Red Cross 1998 had been _______ worst year for natural disasters in modern times.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
7. During the flood, Army helicopters came and tried to evacuate _______ injured.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
8. Africa has always had a large migratory population because of war and _______ famine.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
9. The International Red Cross helps people in need without any discrimination based on _______, race, religion, class or political opinions.
a. national b. nationally c. nationality d. native
10. The International Committee of the Red Cross is a private _______ institution founded in 1863 in Geneva, Switzerland.
a. human b. humanity c. humanization d. humanitarian
11. In former days, after the battles soldiers on both sides died or were left wounded on the field without any _______ attendance and basic care.
a. medicine b. medical c. medication d. medically
12. The International Red Cross has about 97 million volunteers whose main _______ is to protect human life and health.
a. mission b. experience c. organization d. rule
13. The International Red Cross helps to ensure respect for the human being, and to prevent and relieve human _______.
a. protection b. enjoyment c. wealthy d. sufferings
14. The International Committee Red Cross has about 12,000 staff members worldwide, about 800 of them working4in its Geneva _______.
a. factories b. companies c. headquarters d. buildings
15. The Red Cross on white background was the original protection _______ declared at the 1864 Geneva Convention.
a. poster b. billboard c. symbol d. signal
16. The Red Cross is an international organization that helps people who are suffering from the results of war, diseases or _______.
a. victims b. disasters c. opportunities d. conditions
17. An international medical conference initiated by Davison resulted in the birth of the League of Red Cross Societies in 1991.
a. started b. helped c. treated d. dedicated
18. In times of war, the Red Cross is dedicated to reducing the sufferings of wounded soldiers, civilians, and prisoners of war.
a. mounted b. excited c. devoted d. interested
19. _______ is a situation in which large numbers of people have little or no food, and many of them die.
a. Disaster b. Famine c. Poverty d. Flood.
20. Go _______ this book because it has the information you need.
a. over b. by c. off d. on
21. Helen has gone out and she will not be _______ till midnight.
a. off b. along c. back d. away
22. Everything is _______ you. I cannot make _______ my mind yet.
a. out off/ on b. up to/ up c. away from/ for d. on for/ off
23. There is no food left. Someone must have eaten it _______.
a. out b. up c. off d. along
24. The explorers made a fire to _______ off wild animals.
a. get b. keep c. take d. go
25. If something urgent has _______ up, phone me immediately and I will help you.
a. picked b. come c. kept d. brought
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
On Monday, May 12, 2008 a violent earthquake, measuring 8. 0 on the Richter scale, happened in southwestern China's Sichuan Province. Hundreds of aftershocks followed in the area. The earthquake destroyed thousands buildings, roads, schools and hospitals, as well as infrastructure like communication networks and electrical towers. Thousands of people died or are missing, and more than 45 million people were affected by the earthquake, which has been the worst natural disaster to hit China for 30 years.
The American Red Cross has contributed $20 million to support the relief and recovery efforts of the Red Cross Society of China. These funds will be used to assist survivors through the purchase and distribution of relief supplies, coordination of logistics and transportation of disaster workers to the hardest hit areas. The American Red Cross has also sent relief experts to the affected area to help monitor and coordinate the response efforts. On June 6, the American Red Cross co-hosted a forum to address the U. S. response and recovery efforts following the earthquake. More than 30 representatives from humanitarian organizations, the business companies and the government participated in the event.
More than 35,000 staff and volunteers with the Red Cross Society of China responded to the disaster by distributing food, water, tents and other essential items. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies are providing 100,000 tents to help those in need.
The Red Cross Society of China is a very strong organization with extensive experience responding to disasters. The American Red Cross has long history of working with the Red Cross Society of China, going to back to famines in 1906 and including severe storms earlier this year. There has been a close contact between the Red Cross Society of China and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, arid they have been ready to provide additional support such as disaster workers, relief supplies or financial assistance.
Concerned family and friends in the United States may have difficulty contacting their loved ones because telecommunication has been out of work by this disaster. If they are trying to reach relatives living in China or those who are citizens of China, the American Red Cross suggests them keep calling or try contacting other family members who live nearby.
36. The earthquake on May 12, 2008 in China _______.
a. left no aftershocks
b. destroyed everything except communication networks
c. caused no human loss
d. had effects on more than 45 million people
37. According to the second paragraph, _______.
a. the American Red Cross helped the Red Cross Society of China to recover from the earthquake
b. the American Red Cross owed the Red Cross Society of China $20 million
c. the victims of the earthquake were not helped to buy necessary things
d. disaster workers were not sent to the hardest hit areas because of the aftershocks
38. Which sentence is not true?
a. There are more than 30 representatives from humanitarian organizations, the business companies and the government in the US helping the Chinese earthquake victims.
b. The American government did not do anything to help the earthquake victims in China.
c. The American Red Cross has contributed $20 million to help the earthquake victims in China.
d. The American Red Cross has also sent relief experts to help the earthquake victims in China.
39. Which is not mentioned about the Red Cross Society of China?
a. It is a strong organization.
b. It gets on well with the American Red Cross.
c. It supplied the earthquake victims a lot of things except tents.
d. It has extensive experience responding to disasters.
40. After the earthquakes _______.
a. it has been difficult to contact with the resident in the ,attacked area
b. the American Red Cross advised people not to keep contact with the victims
c. contacting with the victims was not a problem
d. everything has been in order soon
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
The United Nations Children's Fund, or UNICEF, was (41) _____ by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946, to provide emergency Food and (42) _____ to children in 'countries that had been devastated by World War II. In 1953, UNICEF became a permanent part of the United Nations System and its name was shortened from the (43) _____ United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund but it has continued to be known by the popular acronym based on this old name. (44) _____ in New York City, UNICEF provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to' children and mother in developing countries. UNICEF is currently focused (45) _____ five primary priorities: Child Survival and Development, Basic Education and Gender Equality, including girl's education, Child protection from (46) _____, exploitation, and abuse, HIV/AIDS and children, and Policy advocacy and partnerships for children's rights. Related areas of UNICEF action include early childhood development, adolescence development and participation; life skills based education and child rights all over the world.
A (47) _____ funded agency, UNICEF relies on contributions from governments and private (48) _____. Its programs emphasize developing community-level services to promote the health and well-being of children. Recently, UNICEF has begun partnerships with world-class athletes and teams to promote the organization's work and to (49) _____ funds. UNICEF greeting cards are sold worldwide to support efforts on behalf of children creating a better world where children are happy, healthy and live in dignity. UNICEF selects suitable paintings for reproduction from contemporary artists. Total income to UNICEF for 2006 was $2,781,000,000.
UNICEF was (50) _____ the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965 and Prince of Asturias Award of Concord in 2006. UNICEF is present in 190 countries and territories around the world.
41. a. taken off b. set up c. paid on d. pushed back
42. a. instrument b. projects c. work d. healthcare