Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 4: School Education System có đáp án
SCHOOL EDUCATION SYSTEM
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 4: School Education System có đáp án được VnDoc.com sưu tầm vầ đăng tải giúp thầy cô và các em học sinh có thêm tài liệu tham khảo để học tốt Tiếng Anh lớp 12 và làm quen dần với dạng bài có trong bài thi, bài kiểm tra Tiếng Anh lớp 12.
Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
1. a. general b. applicant c. usually d. October
2. a. parallel b. dependent c. educate d. primary
3. a. physical b. achievement c. government d. national
4. a. eleven b. history c. nursery d. different
5. a. consider b. similar c. actually d. carefully
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
6. Tommy left high school _______ the age _______ seventeen.
a. at/ of b. in/ for c. on/ with d. of/ in
7. The academic year in Vietnam is over _______ the end _______ May.
a. from/ in b. for/ on c. on/ in d. at/ of
8. In _______ most countries, it is compulsory for children to receive primary education.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
9. Over _______ past few decades, _______ schools in the USA have been testing various arrangements.
a. the/ Ø b. Ø/ Ø c. a/ the d. Ø/ the
10. As an _______, Mr. Pike is very worried about the increasing of juvenile delinquency.
a. educate b. education c. educator d. educative
11. In England, primary education is provided by state schools run by the government and by _______ fee-paying schools.
a. independent b. independently c. depended d. independence
12. The United Nations Secretary-General has often spoken of the need for individual _______ and human rights in his speeches.
a. free b. freedom c. freely d. freeing
13. A/an _______ is an official document stating that you have passed an examination, completed a course, or . achieved some necessary qualifications.
a. certificate b. requirement c. education d. test
14. Peter is trying his best to study in hope that he will _______ fame and fortune in the near future.
a. lose b. run c. move d. achieve
15. _______ is the study of the events of the past.
a. Geography b. History c. Arts d. Literature
16. She was the first in her family to enjoy the privilege of a university _____.
a. schedule b. education c. science d. technology
17. English is an important _______ that is required in several national examinations:
a. language b. test c. evaluation d. subject
18. _______ is the study of the Earth's physical features and the people, plants, and animals that live in different regions of the world.
a. Science b. Geography c. History d. Technology
19. Bicycles _______ in the driveway.
a. must not leave b. must not be leaving
c. must not be left d. must not have left
20. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony _______ next weekend.
a. is going to be performed b. has been performed
c. will be performing d. will have performed
21. Reagan _______ an actor years ago.
a. is said to be b. was said being
c. was said have been d. is said to have been
22. I hate _______ personal questions by newly-acquainted friends.
a. to be asking b. to be asked c. being asking d. of asking
23. It _______ that learning a foreign language _______ a lot of time.
a. says/ is taken b. is saying/ has been taken
c. is said/ takes d. was said/ was taken
24. All bottles _______ before transportation.
a. frozen b. were froze c. were frozen d. are froze
25. The trees _______.
a. were grown by John yesterday in the backyard
b. were grown in the backyard by John yesterday
c. were grown in the backyard yesterday by John
d. in the backyard were grown yesterday by John
26. _______ yet?
a. Have the letters been typed b. Have been the letters typed
c. Have the letters typed d. Had the letters typed
27. English has become a second language in countries like India, Nigeria or Singapore where ______ for administration, broadcasting and education.
a. is used b. it is used c. used d. being used
28. The telephone _______ by Alexander Graham Bell.
a. is invented b. is inventing c. invented d. was invented
29. Lots of houses _______ by the earthquake.
a. are destroying b. destroyed c. were destroying d. were destroyed
30. In the US the first stage of compulsory education _______ as elementary education.
a. to be generally known b. is generally known
c. generally known d. is generally knowing
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
The American education system requires that students complete 12 years of primary and secondary education prior to attending university or college. This may be accomplished either at public or government-operated schools, or at private schools. These 12 years of schooling or their equivalent may also be completed outside the USA, thus giving foreign students the opportunity to pursue the benefits of the American education system and obtain a quality American education. Perhaps one of the most impressive facts is that a large number of presidents, prime ministers and leaders from other countries have experienced the American education system and graduated from a university or school in the USA. In many fields and industries, the American education system offers the most cutting-edge, sought-after programs at the world's best schools. That is why graduating from an accredited American school and being exposed to the rigors of the American education system is an investment in your future.
Whether you want to study at a top USA university, a top USA college, a vocational or high school, a thorough understanding of how the American education system works is essential. Without a clear grasp of the American education system, an international student will find it difficult to make the right academic choices. It is no surprise that the American education system and the American school system host more international students than any other country in the world!
36. The expression government-operated could best be replaced by _____.
a. independent b. state c. vocational d. boarding
37. According to the text, students in the USA _______.
a. are made to take primary and secondary education in the country
b. are not necessarily take primary and secondary education in the country
c. spend less than 12 years for primary and secondary education
d. needn't take primary and secondary education
38. The writer _______ the US education.
a. appreciates b. underestimates c. overstates d. dislikes
39. Which is true?
a. The US education is not good enough for foreign students.
b. . Foreign students are not offered opportunities in the US:
c. There are not many foreign students in the US.
d. Many leaders all over the world have studied in the US.
40. What is the writer's advice?
a. International students should not invest their future education in the US.
b. International students should not study at a top USA university, a top USA college, a vocational or high school.
c. Without a clear grasp of the American education system, an international student can make the right academic choices
d. International students should have a thorough understanding of how the American education system works before going there to study.
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
Children in (41) _____ Netherlands must be at least four years old to (42) _____ primary education. Almost all 4-year-olds (99. 3%) in the country indeed attend primary school, (43) _____ this is not compulsory until children reach the age (44) _____ 5. Primary school is free of charge. In most schools, children are grouped by (45) _____ in mixed ability classes, with one teacher for all subjects. Primary school (46) _____ of 8 groups, thus schooling (47) _____ for 8 years. During the first two years, which (48) _____ kindergarten, children receive an average of 22 hours of (49) _____, during the last 6 years children receive an average of 25 hours per week. Schools are open 5 days a week, but children are free on Wednesday afternoon. At the end of primary school, or in group 8, schools advice on secondary school choice. Most schools use a national test to support this advice, for instance the 'Citotoets', a test (50) ____ by the Central Institute for Test development.
41. a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
42. a. afford b. enter c. come d. run
43. a. although b. despite c. in spite d. due to
44. a. of b. on c. in d. for
45. a. old b. elderly c. aging d. age
46. a. includes b. contains c. consists d. composes
47. a. spends b. lasts c. lengthens d. takes
48. a. also called b. is also called c. is called also d. is also calling
49. a. educate b. educative c. educator d. education
50. a. develop b. to develop c. developed d. developing