Choose the correct answer A, B, C, or D to finish the sentences.
1. We _______________ go to the party. We’re going to a wedding.
2. A: Can you lend me some money?
B: Sorry. I ___________ . I haven’t got any either.
3. They________ go. The weather was too bad.
4. She________ come on holiday next month if her parents give
5. The fishing boat sank but luckily all the crew ________ save themselves.
6. Listen! We ____________ hear a train in the distance.
7. I don’t think he ___________ win the next competition.
8. Michael is very proud to __________ play in a jazz-band.
9. When I was five, I _________ swim.
10. I have to go to a meeting tomorrow night so I _________ come to the party. I’m very sorry.
Fill in each numbered blank with a suitable word.
Robots now have many uses. Many factories use robots to (1) ________ lots of hard work quickly and without many mistakes.
These (2) _________ ‘industrial’ robots. The military uses robots to find and get rid of bombs. If a robot (3) __________a mistake, the robot is damaged or destroyed, which is better (4) _______ a person being killed. There are also robots that help at (5)_________ , to vacuum or cut grass, for example. Such robots must (6)_________ about the area of work. There are two robots on Mars. Because it (7) __________ a long time to send a signal from Earth to Mars, the robots do much of their work alone, (8)___________ commands from Earth. People still think of robots as having a shape (9) __________ a person – two legs, two arms, and a head. ASIMO is one robot that is helping scientists learn (10) __________to design and program robots. It can walk, which is not easy to program.
Fill in the gaps with can, can’t, could, couldn’t, will be able to or won’t be able to.