Choose the words that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
II. LANGUAGE FOCUS
A. Choose the word or phrase - a, b, c or d that best completes the sentence or substitutes for the
underlined word or phrase.
6. The amount of solar energy that reaches the earth depends ______ the atmosphere.
7. The natural environment consists ______ all natural resources.
8. Solar energy can be changed ______ electricity.
9. Oil, coal and natural gas are ______ fuels made from decayed material from animal or plants.
10.A nuclear reactor releases ______ which is dangerous to the environment.
11. We could make better ______ of our energy resources.
12. The government has spent £1 million on an advertising ______ to encourage energy conservation.
13. All fossil fuels are ______ resources that cannot be replaced after use.
Solar energy is not only plentiful and infinite but also clean and safe.
15. Many newer cars have a much lower fuel ______.
B. Choose the word or phrase - a, b, c or d that best completes the sentence
16.Nellie Ross of Wyoming was the first woman ______ governor in the United States.
17. Pioneers, ______ in isolated areas of the United States, were almost totally self-sufficient.
18.Completed in 1756, Nassau Hall is the oldest building now ______ on the campus of Princeton
19.Jerome Kern's most famous work is Showboat, ______ , most enduring musical comedies.
20. ______ in large quantities in the Middle East, oil became known as black gold because of the large
profit it brought.
21.Neil Armstrong, ______ person to set foot on the moon, reported that the surface was fine and
22. The Massachusetts State House, ______ in 1798, was the most distinguished building in the United
States at that time.
23. Lady Astor was the first woman ______ her seat in Parliament.
24. Norman Weiner, ______ mathematician and logician, had an important role in the development of
25. War and Peace, ______, was published in 1869.
III. Choose the best sentence - a, b, c or d -made from the given cues
26. the world/ energy resources/ take/ millions of years/ produce/ we/ quickly/ begin/ exhaust/ supplies// .
27. recently/ UN committee/ report/ world/ oil and gas supplies/ last/ about 100 years/ if/ use/ carefully//
28. the report/ state/ there/ enough/ oil and gas/ a century/ only if/ present demand/ control//
29. according/ the report/ governments/ now/take/ steps/ control/ amounts/ fossil fuels/ use//
Write the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one.
30. She refuse to answer, which was disappointing.
31. I have not seen a more wonderful building anywhere.
32. It is disappointing that we haven't heard from Molly.
We are ____________________
33. 'Well done, I'm so glad you've passed your exam."
I congratulated _______________________________
34. Somebody really ought to look into this problem further.
This problem _____________________________
35. If I hadn't examined the photograph myself, I would have thought it was a fake
Had I ___________________________________