Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from those of the other three.
I. Choose the word whose stress is different from that of others.
Choose the best answer that is suitable for each blank or the underlined word or phrase.
11. Newspapers should ____________ printing statements that they cannot check.
12. If they aren’t more careful with their money, they’ll get into _______________.
13. During the boss’s _____________, his assistant took over.
14. The commander gave ________________ talk to his men.
15. What a _______________ that your father is ill again!
16. The cost of the hotel room usually _____________ the price of breakfast.
17. They talked for three days before finally _______________ to a decision.
18. If you require any more ____________ about the holiday, please telephone us.
19. After a lot of difficulty, he ____________ to open the door.
20. When she saw the clouds, she went back to the house to __________ her umbrella.
Choose the best word or phrase to complete each sentence.
21. The man __________ me spoke English.
22. The woman ___________ wrote this letter is left-handed.
23. The train ____________ leaves at 10:00.
24. I’m working for a man _____________ for twenty years.
25. They played a lot of music_______________.
26. My company has just bought a machine _______________ paper.
27. The book _____________ is on the table.
28. The campsite _______________________ was very dirty.
29. I want to speak to the person ______________ this letter.
30. The flowers _______________ to me are beautiful.