I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from those of the other three.
I. Choose he word whose stress is on the first syllable.
Choose the best answer that is suitable for each blank or the underlined word or phrase.
He disposed of the old material.
Please submit your application before two o’clock.
Please read the instruction carefully before starting the work.
Yukiko resembles her mother more than her father.
15. Thanks a lot for the dinner. It was very ____________.
16. People who work in restaurants usually get fairly low ____________.
17. Yogurt is a healthy milk ____________.
18. A large area of land covered with trees is called _____________.
19. Our English teacher speaks very clearly. It’s easy for me to _____________.
20. The ___________ tells us the days of the week and the months of the year.
Choose the best word or phrase to complete each sentence.
21. It’s on Christmas day ________ to children by Santa Claus.
22. It’s on New Year’s Day _____________ to children.
23. What we need ____________ a hammer.
24. It was through Internet ____________ they got that song.
25. ___________ that they prefer to go hiking.
26. My sister is woman __________ collecting bags.
27. A bee is an insect ___________ honey.
28. _____________ chatting on the Net that I prefer.
29. The place _____________ is where they train local midwives.
30. The reason it wasn’t sorted out earlier __________________________.
Choose the sentence - a, b, c or d - which is closest in meaning to the printed one.
31. Sam emphasized the importance of being thoughtful toward one another.
32. He looked so funny that I couldn't help laughing.
33. On their trip to Newcastle, John and Bill took turn driving.
34. Jim came down with flu and had to stay in.
35. It's high time the children went to bed.