Choose the best answer that is suitable for each blank or the underlined word or phrase.
1. I write home once a week because I want to ___________ with my family.
2. Every year millions of people ___________ a cold, so we call it “common”.
3. The bread costs 5,000 dong. The milk is 4,000 dong. That is 9,000 dong ___________ then, please.
4. After the doctor smiled at me and told me not to worry, I felt ____________ scared.
5. He has a high fever, so the nurse needs to ______________ his temperature.
6. I think I have a ______________ in my tooth. It hurts me.
7. Mr. Peter is my new neighbor. He moved in a fewer weeks ago. His house is
_________ to mine.
8. Don’t worry. The cold will ___________ for a few days and then disappear.
9. To my _____________ the monkey picked up a banana and gave it to my sister.
10. Everybody found the talk _______________. Some students even fell asleep.
11. Yesterday I went to Nam’s house, but the front door was locked. He ________ out.
12. The Second World War ____________ in 1939 and ____________ in 1945.
13. By the time we got to the theater, the movie ___________________, so we missed the first five minutes.
14. I __________ Casablanca for the first time last night. I ___________ it before.
15. Did you _____________ anywhere interesting last weekend?
16. My girlfriend _________________ born on the 2nd of September 1974.
17. When I came, they ____________ chess.
18. They were planting potatoes in the garden when it suddenly ______________.
19. Yesterday Ann introduced me to her husband. As I saw him, I _____________ that I __________ him before. We went to primary school together.
20. Yesterday when I __________ a bath, the phone _______________.