I. Choose the best answer that is suitable for each blank or the underlined word or phrase.
1. His father is planning to ______________ up a business for him.
2. “What made him surrender to the police?” “It’s probably his __________________ conscience.”
3. Look at these girls! They are very much _____________.
4. It’s me who’s at _________________, so I’ll have to pay for the damage.
5. I’ve known the twins for years, but I can still hardly _______________ them apart.
6. After the water workers went on strike there was a ______________ of water.
7. Sam liked making ____________ stories to tell his children.
8. From the hotel there is a good ______________ of the mountains.
9. She always _________________ the crossword in the paper before breakfast.
10. According to the _____________ of the contract, tenants must give six months notice if they intend to live in the area.
II. Choose the best word or phrase to complete each sentence.
1. Clare ______________ late again, the hockey trainer will be very furious.
2. If I _________________ a car, I would drive to work.
3. He __________________ if the surgeon hadn’t operated on him.
4. If the bus __________________ on time. I won’t miss the soccer match.
5. If ice _____________ heavier than water, it wouldn’t float.
6. If he had offered me the job, I _______________ it.
7. You __________ life much easier if you smile more often.
8. If he _____________ more carefully, he would not cause an accident.
9. If you _______________ as I told, you would have succeeded.
10. If she ____________ a promise, she will keep it.
II. Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that need correction.
Inside of the room I could hear someone laughing.
I have arrived in England last July.
It was very late in the night and the streets were empty.
He closed the door quietly so that nobody wouldn’t hear him.
I want to improve my knowledge in English.