Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part,
or has a close meaning to the original one
7. A / an _______ species is a population of an organism which is at risk of becoming extinct.
8. Only a few of the many species at risk of extinction actually make it to the lists and obtain legal _______.
9. Probability of extinction depends _______ both the population size and fine details of the
10. Many modern medicines are derived _______ plants and animals.
11. 15,589 species (7,266 animal species and 8,323 plant species) are now considered _______ risk
12. Internationally, 189 countries have signed _______ accord agreeing to create Biodiversity Action
Plans to protect endangered and other threatened species.
13. Known worldwide by its panda logo, World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is dedicated to protecting
_______ world's wildlife and the rich biological diversity that we all need to survive
14. WWF is _______ leading privately supported international conservation organization in the world,
and has sponsored more than 2,000 projects in 116 countries.
15.Many nations have laws offering protection to these species, such as forbidding hunting, restricting
land development or creating _______.
16. Being listed as an endangered species can have negative effect since it could make a species more
desirable for collectors and poachers.
World Wide Fund for Nature was formed to do the mission of the preservation of biological
diversity, sustainable use of natural resources, and the reduction of pollution and wasteful
The Bali Tiger was declared extinct in 1937 due to hunting and habitat loss
It is found that endangered species are often concentrated in areas that are poor and densely populated, such as much of Asia and Africa
20. _______ is the existence of a wide variety of plant and animal species living in their natural
21. She ___ be ill. I have just seen her playing basket ball in the school yard.
22. Hiking the trail to the peak _______ be dangerous if you are not well prepared for dramatic weather
changes. You _______ research the route a little more before you attempt the ascent.
23. Peter has been working for 10 hours. He _______ be very tired now
24. He is unreliable. What he says _______ be believed.
25. I _______ find my own way there. You _______ wait for me.