Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
11. According to the Red Cross 1998 had been ______ worst year for natural disasters in modern times.
12. During the flood, Army helicopters came and tried to evacuate _______ injured.
13. Africa has always had a large migratory population because of war and _______ famine.
14. The International Red Cross helps people in need without any discrimination based on _______, race, religion, class or political opinions.
15. The International Committee of the Red Cross is a private _______ institution founded in 1863 in Geneva, Switzerland.
16. In former days, after the battles soldiers on both sides died or were left wounded on the field without any _______ attendance and basic care.
17. The International Red Cross has about 97 million volunteers whose main _______ is to protect human life and health.
18. The International Red Cross helps to ensure respect for the human being, and to prevent and relievehuman _______.
19. The International Committee Red Cross has about 12,000 staff members worldwide, about 800 of them working in its Geneva _______.
20. The Red Cross on white background was the original protection _______ declared at the 1864 Geneva Convention.
21. The Red Cross is an international organization that helps people who are suffering from the results of war, diseases or _______.
An international medical conference initiated by Davison resulted in the birth of the League of Red Cross Societies in 1991.
In times of war, the Red Cross is dedicated to reducing the sufferings of wounded soldiers, civilians, and prisoners of war.
24. _______ is a situation in which large numbers of people have little or no food, and many of them die.
25. Go _______ this book because it has the information you need.
26. Helen has gone out and she will not be _______ till midnight.
27. Everything is _______ you. I cannot make _______ my mind yet.
28. There is no food left. Someone must have eaten it _______.
29.The explorers made a fire to _______ off wild animals.
30. If something urgent has _______ up, phone me immediately and I will help you.
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
Choose the sentence which has the closest meaning to the original one.
36. Mary says that when her drugs budget was exhausted she turned to the Swedish Red Cross.
37. I find it difficult to get rid of my smoking habit.
38. You can look up this word in the dictionary.
39. That car is beyond my means.
40. The doctor advised Mr. Pike to take up a new hobby.