Choose the word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that best completes each sentence.
1. ''You must have had a very good time on holiday." "__________, it was a disaster. Everything went wrong."
2. There are _______ ways of spending your free time, so you can choose to do whatever you like.
3. They are trying to persuade the rich to __________ their money to the charities.
4. Local authorities have to learn to allocate resources __________.
5. Alex failed his English exam, but his teacher is going to give him ________ chance to pass it.
6. Her eyes are different colors. One eye is gray, and ____________ is green.
7. __________ him the whole truth or he'll get angry with you.
8. This is the strangest case that the detective__________.
9. To reduce air pollution, __________.
10. Thousands of factory workers are attending evening classes in an attempt to ______ themselves.
11. He eats nothing __________ hamburgers.
12. He worked hard __________ a mechanic for ten years before being appointed manager.
13. When are you leaving __________ Singapore? This week or next week?
14. He suddenly saw Cindy __________ the room, so he pushed his way __________ the crowd of people to get to her.
15. The doctor will not give the patient the test results __________ tomorrow.
16. Can you help me, please? I can't see the difference __________ these words.
17. I don't understand this point. Could you please __________?
18. That house reminds me __________ the one where I used to live.
19. It was very kind __________ you to lend me the money I needed.
20. The company made very good profit in __________.