I. Choose the word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that best completes each of the following sentence.
1. They made an aerial survey; that is, they made a survey_________.
Hummock grasses grow in loose sand on the crest.
3. Older people _________ a large proportion of those living in poverty.
4. She has the windows open, _________ it is cold outside.
5. There is still much to discuss. We shall, _________, return to this item at our next meeting.
6. The sea was dangerous, _________ we didn't go out for a swim.
7. The new trains have more powerful engines and are; _________, faster.
8. It was cold and wet. _________, Paul put on his swimming suit and went to the beach.
9. I had no choice _________ sign the contract.
10. You can dress _________ you like.
11. _________ hard he tried, he couldn't open the door.
12. We took a map with us _________.
13. We'll buy everything you produce _________ it’s reasonable.
14. Sunglasses come _________ many different colors, shapes, and strengths.
15. You are expected _________ the safety regulations of the school.
16. _________ his father, he is a biologist.
17. Everyone _________ happy at the last meeting.
18. Did you paint it yourself or did you _________ it painted?
19. We _________ drive fast; we have plenty of time.
20. If you _________ there what would you have done?
21. They'll be able to walk across the river _________.
22. Please call if you're going to arrive _________.
23. Nobody knew that Uncle Ben was coming to see us. He arrived _________.
24. 'He is back already.' 'He _________ very early.'
25. We expected that our team _________, but it didn't.
26. You can see the details _________ the computer screen.
27. Don't walk too fast. I can't keep _________ you.
28. Rita is not used _________ on her own.
29. He bought a ticket _________.
II. Choose the underlined part in each sentence that needs correcting:
A study of the difference between synthetic and natural vitamins are needed.
You must take quickly the test in order to finish in time.
Most vacationers can't stand traveling in packed cars or stay in dirty hotel rooms.
That's the best exhibition I've never seen.
Jack is looking for another job for he says he is really fed up of doing the same thing every day.