I. Choose the word or phrase that best completes each unfinished sentence below or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase.
1. I put the heater on _________ the plants warm.
2. Why not come over at the weekend? The children _____ seeing you again.
3. That bag looks heavy. I _______ you with it.
4. Calm ______ and tell me what happened.
5. Sam was trying hard ____.
6. You _____ forget what I told you. It’s very important.
7. Cool the burns immediately so as to ______ tissue damage.
8. ______ is a long stick that someone put under their arm to help them, walk when they have hurt their leg.
9. These medicines can_______ your headache.
Don’t overheat the victim with blankets or coat.
11. Mrs Miles sometimes takes a pill ______ to sleep.
12. He is working very hard ______ get poor grades.
13. If you move to your left, you _____ the church.
14. ______ quiet? I’m trying to learn.
15. The book fell _____ the table.
16. Why don’t you come _____ for dinner?
17. Please try _____ quiet when you come home. Everyone will be asleep.
18. Leave the victim _____ flat and don’t let him ___ chilled.
19. _____ is a long thin piece of cloth or paper used for tying round and protecting a wound.
20. _____ the patient’s feet, or lower his/ her head below the level of the heart.
II. Choose the words or phrases that are not correct in Standard English.
David sang so badly that I had to look away not so as to laugh at him.
If you look carefully, you are finding writing scratched on the glass.
Matt was trying to calm the baby out by singing to her.
I was very tired and I tried keeping my eyes open but I couldn’t.
They pulled the boy out of the river and tried receiving him.