I. Choose the word or phrase that best completes each sentence.
1. What makes a computer such a ______________ device?
2. What’s your ___________ subject at school?
3. By the time he arrived, his classmates _____________.
4. Without the Braille alphabet it would be very difficult for _____________.
5. He ___________ in hospital for a week so far.
6. The film __________ when we arrived at the cinema.
7. We all feel sad _____________ the bad news.
8. The box ___________ for a long yet.
9. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
10. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
11. Choose the incorrect part indicated by A, B, C or D in the following sentence.
I haven’t met him since a long time.
12. Choose the incorrect part indicated by A, B, C or D in the following sentence.
A new hospital for children has built in our city.
II. Complete the sentences with an appropriate form of the words in brackets.
1. The journey to the countryside is very ___________ (interest).
2. Lan has a very lovely ____________ of dolls. ( collect)
3. Newspaper and magazine are ___________ read all over the world. (wide)
4. We are in regular __________ with each other by telephone or letter. (communicate)
III. Rewrite each sentences.
1. Because the sea was rough, the ferry couldn’t sail.
=> Because of _______________________.
2. I’m reading the book. I bought it in Sydney in 1996. (Use relative pronoun)
3. They have just built a new school near my house.
(Change this sentence into passive voice)
4. I often ate a lot of cream when I was a boy. (Use “used to”)
IV. Read the text and questions below and answer the questions.
Camping holidays are always popular with students and young people. It is a cheap and easy way to see a country. People often travel by train,
by coach or on foot, so one thing is important to remember before starting: You can only take with you what you can carry – usually in a rucksack on
your back. If you travel with a friend, of course some items can be shared – a tent, a gas stove, food. Other things must be taken by each person –clothes, footwear, a sleeping bag.
So you must be sure of how much you can carry. Most people find 10 kg about right. Much more than that and you need another holiday when you
get home! And remember when the weather is wet your rucksack is heavier.
Many people who go camping for the first time take too much and the find they have forgotten the essentials – a tin of beans is no good without a
tin opener! But with practice and good advice you can have a fantastic holidays.
1. Why are camping holidays very popular with students and young people?
2. How do they often travel?
3. Does each person always have to carry everything? Why/ Why not?
4. What should campers remember?