Choose the word whose the underlined part is pronounced differently.
When the film started, I already arrived ten minutes before.
Those homework that your teacher assigned is due on Tuesday unless you have made prior arrangements to turn it in late.
The elevator was out of order, that is too bad.
While the children were ice-skating, they slip on the thin ice and fell into the deep water.
Practising speaking to native speakers are a good way to improve your speaking.
Choose the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
1. He has good salary, but he feels unhappy.
2. John finds astronomy very interesting.
3. He once went to school on foot when he was at primary school.
4. They will build a new hospital in our town.
5. Behave yourself or your parents will be disappointed.
Read the passage carefully and choose a suitale word to fill each blank.
Camping holidays are always (1) ______with students and young people-they are a cheap and (2) ______way to see a country. People often travel by train, by coach or (3) ______foot, so one thing is important (4) ______before starting: you can only take with you what you can carry – usually in a backpack on your back.
If you travel with a friend, of course some items can be shared – a tent, a gas stove, food. Other things must (5) ______by each person – clothes, footwear, a sleeping bag.
1. Camping holidays are always (1) ______with students and young people
2. they are a cheap and (2) ______way to see a country.
3. People often travel by train, by coach or (3) ______foot,
4. so one thing is important (4) ______before starting: you can only take with you what you can carry – usually in a backpack on your back.
5. Other things must (5) ______by each person – clothes, footwear, a sleeping bag.
Read the following passage and choose A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
If parents bring up a child with the sole aim of turning the child into a genius, they will cause disaster. This is one of the biggest mistakes which ambitious parents make. Unrealistic parental expectations can cause great damage to children.
However, if parents are not too unrealistic about what they expect their children to do, but ambitious in a sensible way, the child may succeed in doing very well- especially if the parents are very supportive of their child.
Do An Duc is very lucky. He is crazy about music, and his parents help him a lot by taking to concerts and arranging piano and violin lessons for him. Although Do An Duc's parents know very little about music, they have tried their best to help their son with his interest. However, they never make him enter music competition if he is unwilling.
Duc's friend, Vu Hoang Duy, however, is not so lucky. Although his parents are successful musicians, they set too high a standard for Duy. They want their son to be successful as they are so they enter him for every piano competition held. They are very unhappy when he doesn't win. "When I was at your age, I used to win every competition I entered," Duy's father tells him. Duy is always afraid that he will disappoint his parents and now he always seems quiet and unhappy.
1. One of the biggest mistakes any parents can make is to___________________.
2. Parents' ambition for their children is not wrong if ____________________.
3. Do An Duc is fortunate because______________________.
4. Vu Hoang Duy's parents push their son so much that___________________.
5. The two examples of Do An Duc and Vu Hoang Duy show that______________.