Choose the correct sentence which has the same meaning as the given one.
1. He played some games and then went to bed.
2. "I'm sorry I have to leave so early," he said.
3. "You won the competition. Congratulations!"
Choose the word(s) closest meaning to the underlined words in each of the following sentences.
Unselfishness is the very essence of friendship.
We should take care of war invalids and and families of martyrs.
The purpose of the contest is to stimulate the spirits of playing sports among students.
Choose indicate the word(s) opposite meaning to the underlined words in each of the following sentence.
Why did the parents oppose to the idea of sending their children to the special class at first?
Match the word in A with its appropriate definition in B.
Read the passage, then choose the correct answer A, B, C, or D.
In the last few weeks, I have spent every Saturday in my flat and have done nothing more exciting than work at home, read the newspapers, and watch television. I had begun feeling bored with this and so, last weekend I thought I would do something different. I phoned several of my friends and we decided to go to London for the day. I was really excited as I hadn't been to London since I was ten. We decided to go by coach as this was the cheapest means of transport. In London we decided to take a sightseeing tour as we wanted to see some of the famous buildings. After the tour, we bought some sandwiches and ate them in the small park. In the afternoon some of us went shopping and the others went to the theater. We met up again at 6.30 p.m and went to a small restaurant in Sotho. The meal was really good, but, unfortunately, it took much longer than we had expected. We had to get a taxi back to the coach station. Luckily, we got there just two minutes before our coach left.
1. According to the passage, the writer ....................................
2. He felt so excited about going to London because ..........................
3. Why did they decide to go by coach?
4. Which of the following is true?
5. Why did they have to catch a taxi?
Choose the option A, B, C or D corresponding to the best sentence that is made up from the sets of word.
1. It/ very kind/ you/ help me/ start/ engine.
2. while/ I/ open/ letter/ telephone/ ring.
Choose the correct answer.
1. Big Brothers is a voluntary.....................for the boys who no longer have fathers.
2. I have no objection to ________ to your story again.
3. You are ________ your time trying to persuade him; he will never help you.
4. Friendship is......................... two-sided affair; it lives by give-and-take.
5. He remembered________ to the circus when he was five years old.
6. ________too much, he found difficult to drive home.
7. "What do you think of the English competition?"
- "Oh, it's________. It's a good time to practice my English"
8. He entered the class, sat on the second row and________ at the girl sitting next to him.
9. I saw someone________ through the window.
10. They ________ good friends, but they've fallen out recently.