I. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence.
1. Would you mind _________ the window? It's rather hot in here.
2. There _________ a lot of trees on our block.
3. He _________ television at 8 o’clock every evening.
4. _________ she was very busy, my mother cooked a great meal for us.
5. She was going very fast _________ she was in a hurry.
6. If you _______ a minute, I'll come with you.
7. I _________ my English a lot since the last seminar.
8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire _________ by J K Rowling.
9. My sister is a _________. She works in a hospital and helps doctors.
10. The movie starts at two _________ the afternoon.
11. My father _________ the car every Saturday.
12. Can you open _________ door, please?
13. My mother usually prepares meals in the _________.
14. _______ do you have an English lesson? – Twice a week.
15. The oranges are not in the basket. They are _________ the table.
16. This is the _________ shirt in the store.
17. I don't like _________ milk.
18. Here's Sarah and _________ sister.
19. She speaks English very _________.
20. The boy _________ won the two medals is a friend of mine.
21. While she _________dinner, he was washing the dishes.
22. This is _________beautiful piano that I'm sorry I have to sell it.
23. _________ photos when you were on holiday?
24. Tom is _________ interesting person.
25. The man who I am married to is my _________.
II. Read the article about Rosa Bonheur. Choose the best word for each space.
Rosa Bonheur (31) ______ a French painter who was possibly the most famous female artist of the 19th Century. She was born (32) ______1822 in Bordeaux, France and was the (33) ______child in a family of artists. Her father was a well-known painter and her mother, who died when Rosa was eleven, was a piano teacher. When she was 6 Rosa moved to Paris with her brothers and mother. She was very unhappy at school and her father took her out of school and became her art tutor. Rosa (34) ______some of the great paintings in the Parisian art galleries and became a very popular painter of animals. Her works were shown in French art galleries and her most famous painting is 'The Horse Fair' which is a very large work that measures nearly three meters high by five metres wide. (35) ______can be seen in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
III. Read the text and choose the best answer for each statement or question.
DO YOU DRINK TOO MUCH COFFEE?
How much coffee is too much? Most doctors say one cup a day is more than enough. However, most people who work in offices drink two or more cups a day. Many drink coffee during breaks, at lunch, and on their way to and from work. On the other hand, most people don’t drink enough water. This is especially a problem for coffee drinkers. When people drink coffee, they don’t drink water. Most doctors agree that everyone should drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
1. What type of reading is this?
2. How much coffee should people drink a day?
3. When do many people drink coffee?
4. Not drinking enough water is a problem for ________.
5. How much water should people drink every day?
IV. Rearrange the words to make meaningful sentences.