I. Choose the word which has the bolded part is pronounced differently.
II. Choose the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress.
III. Choose the right answer A, B, C or D to complete the sentence.
1. We have had __________ problems with our new computer that we had sent it back to the shop.
2. Dawn's thinking of setting _______ a new social club for the local disable people.
3. Mr. Putin won a fourth term as Russia's president, picking up more than three quarters of the vote with _______ of more than 67 percent.
4. His work __________ new ground in the treatment of cancer. It is now giving many cancer victims hope of complete recovery.
5. We like _____________ policies.
6. She worked here for a while then ________ afternoon she just quit and left.
7. DNA tests ___________ accepted in court cases.
8. The disadvantages should be cared for by _____________
9. Why not ____________ the meeting until Thursday morning.
10. You are 18! You ________ to be able to look after youself by now.
11. I was very sad when the vet said he'd have to ___________ Gertie, our lapdog.
12. It is said that a drizzle on the Phap Van - Cau Gie Expressway cause poor ______ and slippery road surface, leading to the vehicles, traveling at high speed, unable to respond safely.
13. The professor instructed the students ______________ the essay without outline.
14. To master of the fiction writing _____________ discipline and practise, as well as studying the words of the great writer.
15. "I can't stop worrying about the test tomorrow.
IV. Choose the word which has the CLOSET meaning with the underlined word.
with a complicated mathematical equation, some students seek the assistance of a teacher. p osed
of his speech, he told a joke but the audience failed to laugh. advent
V. Choose the word which has the OPPOSITE meaning with the underlined word.
his attention of leaving the company to the manager during the office dinner party. revealed
Most of the guests at the dinner pary chose to dress
, but one man wore jeans and a T-shirt; he was later identified as a high school teacher. elegantly
VI. Read the passage and choose the right answer to complete the gaps.
Brave William Baldock, who is six years old, is a hero after helping his mother when she fell downstairs. William quickly rang for an ambulance when he discovered his mother had (1)_________ her leg. In spite of being frightened, he (2)______________ the emergency services what had happened and answered all the questions they asked him. He also telephoned his father at work, and then his grandmother, to explain what he had (3)___________. While waiting for these people to come, William looked after his 18-month-old sister. When ambulance man Steven Lyn went to the house, he was amazed: "It's great that a young boy of six knew the right number to dial, and was able to give us the correct information. (4)__________ of William's quick thinking, we were able to (5)_______________ there immediatetly. "Mrs. Baldock left hospital yesterday, very (6)______________ to both William and the ambulance service.
1. when he discovered his mother had (1)_________ her leg.
2. In spite of being frightened, he (2)______________ the emergency services what had happened and answered all the questions they asked him.
3. He also telephoned his father at work, and then his grandmother, to explain what he had (3)___________.
4. (4)__________ of William's quick thinking
5. we were able to (5)_______________ there immediatetly.
6. "Mrs. Baldock left hospital yesterday, very (6)______________ to both William and the ambulance service.
VII. Rewrite the sentence which has the same meaning as the first one, starts by the given words.
1. Don't invent excuses in order not to do them.
→ Don't make _____________________________.
2. Someone almost certainly broke the window on purpose.
→ The window ______________________________.
3. You caused the accident because you were driving too fast.
→ Had you __________________________________.
4. Although he was ill, he visited other ruins.
→ In spite _________________________.
5. "If you cause problem, I will arrest you," the policeman told me.
→ The policeman warned _________________________.