1. The native people in the Americas were referred to as Indians because according to the ..... at the time, Christopher Columbus had reached the East Indies.
2. ...... missile was used in the war between American and Irak.
3. A barometer is a device with a sealed metal chamber designed ..... the changes in the pressure of air in the atmosphere.
4. Cotton fiber, like other vegetable fibers, ..... composed mostly of cellulose.
5. Almost all life depends ...... chemical reactions with oxygen to produce energy.
6. It may be argued that modern presidents have far ...... responsibilities than their predecessors did.
7. She put a (well-) ...... case for increasing the fees.
8. Many grasshoppers can produce sounds by ...... their hind legs against their wings.
9. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was not only a poet and an author but ..... the chairman of the modern language department at Harvard University for more than eighteen years.
10. It’s an ........... advice service.
11. Some important characteristics of the baroque style were a renewed interest in ornamentation and a powerful ...... of both light and shade.
12. I’ve succeeded ...... hold of the telephone number.
13. The girl took a long (hike) one the first morning at camp.
14. The elevator (broke down), and we had to walk up to the tenth floor.
15. Two little boys (approached) me and said, “Give me some money”.
16. The cabinet consists of secretaries of departments, who report to the president, give him advice, and ........... him make decisions.
17. The jury isn’t satisfied .......... his answer.
18. Each of the intelsat satellites .... in a fixed position from which they relay radio signals to more than seventy earth stations.
19. The examiner must have pleased .......... my performance.
20. “Grateful for” means: