Question 1-5. Do the following statements agree with the information given in Reading the Passage.
From question 1-5, choose:
if the statement agrees with the information.
if the statement contradicts the information.
if there is no information on this
1) After NAFTA, a lot of corn from the USA has been sold in Mexico.
2) Following NAFTA, Mexican business people tried to stop maize farmers from working in factories throughout the country.
3) The Mexican farmers were paid a lot less for their corn after NAFTA.
4) Many Mexican farmers wanted to leave Mexico after the Free Trade Agreement.
5) The Mexican farmers were not able to do anything to help themselves after the Trade Agreement.
Question 6-10. Complete the summary below.
NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer. Write your answers in boxes.
For thousands of years, corn has been a very important 6 ________ in the Mexican culture. After the North American Free Trade Agreement, 7 __________ corn has been imported from the USA in very large amounts.
Use comma (,) to separate your answers
11) Which of the following is the Chinese government using to stimulate their citizens to grow?
12) How much taller does the average patient grow after having the bone stretching operation?
13) Generally, the Chinese are motivated to have the operation because of the possibility of:
14) The main problem with the government’s strategies is that:
15) The Chinese government adopted the new policy because it:
Complete each sentence with the correct ending
A–E from the box below. Write the correct letter A–E in boxes 1 6–23 on your answer sheet. Some people match more than one answer.
A Huange Xinye
B Dr Xia Hetao
C Chinese officials
D Zhang Mei
16) Having cosmetic surgery like the stretching operation can result in a more glamorous career.
17) The stretching operation helps people who feel prejudiced by their lack of height.
18) Being tall is a question of national pride.
19) Being tall does not necessarily result in success.
20) The public is easily influenced when it comes to increasing their height.
21) Until recently, being well above average height was more of a disadvantage than a desirable quality.
22) The traditional diet is the cause of their nations small stature.
23) Alternatives are available for people who do not have the means to pay for the stretching operation.