Choose the work which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest of each group.
Choose the word which has the position of stress differs from the three ones.
Choose the correct answer to each of the following question.
3. Wolfgang Aadeus Mozart was a Austrian musician and ……….
4. He fell down when he _____ towards the church.
5. John was reading a book when I ____ him.
6. ____ music is traditional music from a particular country, region, or community.
7. Thomas: “What are your plans for this Tet holiday, Nam?” Nam: “I ____ the house.”
8. He advises us ____ more studious.
9. Do you think the film is ____?
11. The work of the charity is funded by voluntary ____ .
12. All the teachers work on an entirely ____ basis.
Vietnamese folk songs are sweet, gentle and very lyrical.
14. I always enjoy visiting New York, ____ I wouldn’t like to live there because it’s too noisy.
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks from 15 to 19.
More and more young people are (15) ____ voluntary work abroad. The wild variety of jobs and destinations available is making it an increasingly attractive option for those who have just left school and have a year free before university. Many choose to spend these twelve months (16) ____ in poor countries. At there they will earn little (17) ____ no money. But
they will be doing something useful – and enjoying the experience. The work may (18) ____ of helping the local communities, for example by helping to build new road or provide water supplies to isolated rural villages. Other projects may concentrate more on (19) ____ or environmental protection. Whatever kind of job it is, it is certain to be challenging and worthwhile, and an experience that will never be forgotten.
15. More and more young people are (15) ____ voluntary work abroad.
16. Many choose to spend these twelve months (16) ____ in poor countries.
17. At there they will earn little (17) ____ no money.
18. The work may (18) ____ of helping the local communities, for example by helping to build new road or provide water supplies to isolated rural villages.
19. Other projects may concentrate more on (19) ____ or environmental protection.
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the question from 20 to 24.
The “typical” family unit in the U.S in 1950s, where a husband goes off to work while the wife is the homemaker, was favored as the most efficient family structure. Now, not only have the times changed, but the family norm has changed as well. A new study suggests that there is no such thing as a typical family anymore. Instead, the new norm is a diverse family structure.
“Traditional” family structures can no longer exist because more women have entered the workforce since the 50s. Women were traditionally expected to take care of the children and the house and have dinner ready when their bread-winning husband returned home from work. Today, women attend college and enter the workforce and can independently take care
of themselves and their families. In 2010, 37 percent of women received a bachelor’s degree or more compared to 35 percent of men. Many families also need dual-incomes in order to provide for the children.
20: What does the passage mainly discuss?
21. The work “themselves” in paragraph 2 refers to
22: Why can traditional family in the U.S no longer exist?
23. How many percent of women didn’t receive a bachelor’s degree in 2010?
24. A typical family means that
Combine each pair of sentences, using the correct coordinating conjunctions.
Rewrite the following sentences using the passive.