I. Choose the word which is stressed differently from the rest.
II. Choose the best answer.
1. She is a kind of woman who does not care much of work but generally _______ only with colleagues for meals, movies or late nights at a club.
I didn't think his comments were very appropriate at the time.
3. You should _______ more attention to what your teacher explains.
4. Body language is a potent form of _______ communication.
5. Our teacher often said, "Who knows the answer? _______ your hand."
This is the instance where big, obvious non-verbal signals are appropriate.
7. They started, as ___ gatherings but they have become increasingly formalized in the last few years.
8. Children who are isolated and lonely seem to have poor language and ________.
9. The lecturer explained the problem very clearly and is always _______ in response to questions.
10. Pay more attention _______ picture and you can find out who is the robber.
11. She looked _______ me, smiling happily and confidently.
12. - What an attractive hair style you have got, Mary! - _______
13. In _______ most social situations, _______ informality is appreciated.
14. - What beautiful dress you are wearing!
- Thank you. That is _______ nice compliment.
15. ______ you wanted to ask your teacher a question during his lecture, what would you do?
16. John asked me _______ in English.
17. The mother told her son _______ so impolitely.
18. She said she _______ collect it for me after work.
19. She said I _______ an angel.
20. I have ever told you he _______ unreliable.
21. I told him _______ the word to Jane somehow that I _______ to reach her during the early hours.
22. Laura said she had worked on the assignment since _______.
23. John asked me _______ interested in any kind of sports.
24. I _______ you everything I am doing, 'and you have to do the same.
25. John asked me _______ that film the night before.
26. The boy waved his hands to his mother, who was standing at the school gate, to ___ her attention.
27. If something _______ your attention or your eye, you notice it or become interested in it.
When you are in a restaurant, you can raise your hand slightly to show that you need
29. After a _______ hesitation, she began to speak with such a convincing voice.
30. He is one of the most _______ bosses I have ever worked with. He behaves rudely to not only me but also others in the staff.
31. In many cultures, people signify their agreement by _______ their head.
32. There was a _______ tremble in her voice, which showed that she was very nervous at that time.
33. If a boss wants to have a well-qualified staff, he should have to pay his employees _______.
34. Mrs. Pike was so angry that she made a _______ gesture at the driver.
35. _______ nonverbal language is _______ important aspect of interpersonal communication.
36. Balzer, _______ linguistic researcher, reported that approximately 75% of classroom management behavior was nonverbal.
37. I have never seen such a beautiful dress _______ you before.
38. Small children are often told that it is rude to point _______ other people.
39. - You look great in this new dress. - ________.
40. Suppose you want to go out during a lecture, what should you do?
41. Peter said that he had lived in London four years _______.
42. The guest told the host that _______.
43. The teacher told Joe _______.
44. She said she _______.
45. Emily said that her teacher _______ to London _______.
46. She told the boys _______ on the grass.
48. Jason asked me _______ me the book the day before.
49. Robert said that his father _______ to Dallas the year before.
50. He wanted to know _______ shopping during the previous morning.