Find one word that does not belong to each group.
Complete the sentences with words/ phrases below.
Native speaker - the USA - official language - summer camp - English speaking countries - accents
1. Last year, I had a wonderful time at a _____________ in Britain.
2. The USA, the United Kingdom and New Zealand are all ______________.
3. Australia are __________________ of English because they use it as their mother tongue.
4. __________________ is in the mid- north of America.
5. Usually, people from different parts of a country speak their language with different ____________.
6. English is an ____________ in countries like India, Malaysia, and Singapore.
Read the passage and do the tasks that follow.
Alaska is perhaps the most amazing state in the USA. It has coastlines facing both the Arctic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. This state has an incredible three million lakes. That’s four lakes per person living there.
Many cities in Alaska cannot be reached by road, sea, or river. The only way to get in and out is by air, on foot, or by dogsled. That’s why Alaska has the busiest sea airport in the world, Lake Hood Seaplane Base. Nearly two hundred float planes take off and land on the water of this airport every day. It is a really fun scene to watch.
Alaska is called the land of Midnight Sun because in summer, the sun does not set for nearly three months. But in winter the sun stays almost unseen.
All Alaskans take special pride in their beautiful and unique state.
2. Which statement below is NOT CORRECT?
3. Which method below can always be used to reach a place in Alaska?
4. In Alaska we can always see the sun ___________.
A. in winter B.in summer C. every month of the year
Rewrite the sentences below without changing their original meaning.
1. Radioactive pollution is very dangerous. It can cause abnormal growth. [since]
2. Leaves are damaged. The tree cannot get enough food energy to stay healthy. [because]
3. I don’t have much money now, but I want to buy a house in Phu Cuong.
4. Light pollution happens. There is a change in animals’ living patterns.
5. Acid rain is dangerous. Trees’ leaves are damaged. [because of]
6. The Walt Disney Studios, the famous movie company, has produced hundreds of cartoons for children.
→ Hundreds of cartoons for children _____________________________