Tổng hợp bài tập trắc nghiệm và tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 9: Deserts có đáp án
Bài tập trắc nghiệm và tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 9: Deserts có đáp án
Bao gồm các bài tập trắc nghiệm và tự luận trong Unit 9, tài liệu Tổng hợp bài tập trắc nghiệm và tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 9: Deserts có đáp án sẽ giúp quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh có thêm tài liệu tham khảo phục vụ cho công tác giảng dạy và học tập môn Tiếng Anh. Các tài liệu về chủ đề này được chúng tôi sưu tầm, tuyển chọn và tổng hợp thành bộ sưu tập giúp quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh dễ dàng tìm kiếm.
Bài tập trắc nghiệm Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 9 Deserts
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. a. grasses b. stretches c. comprises d. potatoes
2. a. lie b. wide c. circle d. comprise
3. a. compound b. route c. house d. south
4. a. dune b. hummock c. shrub d. buffalo
5. a. west b. between c. growth d. which
Choose a, b, c, or d that best completes each unfinished sentence, substitutes the underlined part, or has a close meaning to the original one.
6. ________ Sahara of ________ Africa is the world's largest desert.
a. Ø/ the b. The/ Ø c. A/ an d. The/ an
7. Deserts can be defined as areas that receive ________ average annual precipitation of less than 250 mm.
a. a b. an c. the d. Ø
8. The Sahara contains complex linear dunes that are ________ by almost 6 kilometers.
a. developed b. separated c. lay d. located
9. A _______ is a landscape or region that receives very little precipitation.
a. dune b. desert c. sandy area d. shrub land
10. Deserts are often composed of ________ and rocky surfaces.
a. water b. trees c. oil d. sand
11. Three great stretches of sandy deserts almost circle the center of Australia.
a. dunes b. valleys c. lands d. areas
12. Deserts are also classified by their ________ location and dominant weather pattern.
a. geographical b. aerial c. sandy d. facial
13. Thanks to pictures taken by satellites, deserts have not ________ a mystery in our time.
a. hidden b. intended c. remained d. attained
14. Deserts take ________ one-third of the Earth's land surface.
a. up b. on c. over d. after
15. The Simpson Desert was named _______ Mr. Simpson, President of the South Australian Branch of the Royal Geographical Society of Australia.
a. with b. at c. after d. for
16. In 1953, Peveril Meigs divided desert regions ________ Earth ________ categories according to the amount of precipitation they received.
a. through/ in b. from/ with c. on/ into d. in/ for
17. More and more ________ are very excited at discovering as many interesting things in the deserts as possible.
a. explores b. explorations c. explorers d. exploratory
18. Can you make a ________ estimate of how much our expedition in the desert may be?
a. rough b. roughly c. roughing d. roughen
19. After Peter had returned from the Sahara desert, he was confined to bed by a ________ disease.
a. mystery b. mysterious c. mysteriously d. mysteriousness
20. I want to work as an interpreter in the future, ________, I am studying Russian at university.
a. but b. so c. however d. therefore
21. I am going shopping for food this evening ________ I do not have to go at the weekend.
a. so b. but c. however d. moreover
22. When she got the news from her family, she could not do anything, ________ cry.
a. but b. and c. so d. however
23. Mrs. Lindon has ________ that she is unable to get a job.
a. but not enough education b. so little education
c. however little education d. such little education
24. That small car, ________, is advertised in many current magazines.
a. so inexpensive and comfortable
b. however inexpensive and comfortable
c. inexpensive but comfortable
d. and inexpensive but comfortable
25. We live in the same building ________ we have hardly seen each other
a. and b. therefore c. but d. so
26. I went to buy a Rolling Stones CD ________ the shop didn't have it.
a. and b. but c. therefore d. so
27. Anna needed some money, ________, she took a part-time job.
a. furthermore b. moreover c. however d. therefore
28. Julie has a guitar ________ she plays it really well.
a. and b. so c. but d. therefore
29. My fingers were injured ________ my sister had to write the note for me.
a. and b. however c. so d. but
30. The concert was cancelled ________ we went to a nightclub instead.
a. so b. however c. so on d. but
Read the passage carefully and choose the correct answer.
A desert is a hostile, potentially deadly environment for unprepared humans. In hot deserts, high temperatures cause rapid loss of water due to sweating, and the absence of water sources with which to replenish it can result in dehydration and death within a few days. In addition, unprotected humans are also at risk from heatstroke.
Humans may also have to adapt to sandstorms in some deserts, not just in their adverse effects on respiratory systems and eyes, but also in their potentially harmful effects on equipment such as filters, vehicles and communication equipment. Sandstorms can last for hours, sometimes even days.
Despite this, some cultures have made hot deserts 'their home for thousands of years, including the Bedouin, Tuareg tribe, and Pueblo people. Modern technology, including advanced irrigation systems, desalinization and air conditioning, has made deserts much more hospitable, In the United States and Israel for example, desert farming has found extensive use.
In cold deserts, hypothermia and frostbite are the chief hazards, as well as dehydration in the absence of a source of heat to melt ice for drinking. Falling through pack-ice or surface ice layers into freezing water is a particular danger requiring emergency action to prevent rapid hypothermia. Starvation is also a hazard; in low temperatures the body requires much more food energy to maintain body heat and to move. As with hot deserts, some people such as the Inuit have adapted to the harsh conditions of cold deserts.
36. The text is about ________.
a. troubles that human beings have to face in a desert
b. desert storms and desert inhabitants
c. hot deserts and cold deserts in the United States
d. desert hospitality and environment
37. Which is not a problem for an unprepared man in a hot desert?
a. sandstorm b. loss of water c. irrigation d. heatstroke
38. Sandstorms ________.
a. do no harm to machinery
b. have effects only on the eyes
c. never lasts more than one hour
d. have bad effects on both human beings and machinery
39. Which sentence is true?
a. No one can survive in both hot and cold deserts.
b. Modern technology makes deserts more hospitable.
c. In the United States, all deserts are quite uninhabited.
d. There are no deserts in Israel.
40. Which is not a problem in cold deserts?
a. Starvation b. Hypothermia c. Frostbite d. Body heat
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
Desert biomes are the (41) _____ of all the biomes. In fact, the most important characteristic of a desert is that it receives very little (42) _____. Most deserts receive less than 300 mm a year compared (43) __ rainforests, which receive over 2,000 mm. That means that the desert only gets 10 percent of the rain that a rainforest gets! The temperature in the desert can (44) _____ drastically from day to night because the air is. (45) _____ dry that heat escapes rapidly at night. The daytime temperature averages 38°C (46) _____ in some deserts it can get down to -4°C at night. The temperature also varies greatly depending on the (47) _____ of the desert.
Since desert conditions are so severe, the plants that live there need to have (48) _____ to compensate for the lack of water. Some plants, such as cacti, (49) _____ water in their stems and use it very slowly, while others like bushes conserve water by growing few leaves or by having large root systems to gather water or few leaves. Some desert plant species have a short life cycle of a few weeks that (50) _____ only during periods of rain.
41. a. coldest b. hottest c. driest d. wettest
42. a. rain b. rainfall c. raindrop d. raincoat
43. a. with b. for c. about d. in
44. a. change b. exchange c. transform d. transfer
45. a. such as b. such c. so much d. so
46. a. when b. while c. as d. because
47. a. part b. region c. area d. location
48. a. adaptations b. agreements c. accepts d. achievements
49. a. place b. put c. store d. hold
50. a. spend b. take c. last d. experience
Bài tập tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 12 Unit 9 Deserts
I. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets
1. Toshico had her car (repair) _________ by a mechanic
2. Ellon got Marvin (type) _________ her paper
3. We got our house (paint) _________ last week
4. Dr. Byrd is having the students (write) _________ a composition
5. Mark got his transcripts (send) _________ to the university
6. Maria is having her hair (cut) _________ tomorrow
7. Will Mr. Brown have the porter (carry) _________ his luggage to his car?
8. My sister has had a new dress (make) _________ recently
9. The Wilsons won't have a new house (build) _________ on that corner next month
10. The President had his advisors (arrange) _________ a press conference
II. Turn the following sentences into the passive voice or the active voice
1. They can't make tea with cold water
2. They will hold the meeting before May Day
3. They have to repair the engine of the car
4. The teacher is going to tell a story
5. Mary is cutting the cake with a sharp knife
6. Luckily for me, they didn't call my name
7. No one believes his story
8. After class, one of the students always erases the chalk board
9. They have provided the victims with food and clothing
10. The chief enginer was instructing all the workers of the plant
11. The teacher gave each of us two exercise books
12. Someone will tell him that news
13. They paid me a lot of money to do the job
14. Open your book.
15. Take off your hat.
16. Don't do that silly thing again.
17. Have they changed the window of the laboratory
18. Do they teach English here?
19. Will you invite her to your wedding party?
20. Did the teacher give some exercises
21. Is she making big cakes for the party
22. Why didn't they help him?
23. How many games has the team played?
24. Where do people speak English?
25. Who are they keeping in the kitchen?
26. Who looked after the children for you?
27. These exersice were done well
28. This dress must be washed in cold water
29. The lessons are being written by the students now
30. These animals at the zoo are fed twice a day
31. All the arrangements have been made
32. When was this radio manufactured?
33. How are candles made?
34. Is Mathematics taught in this school?
35. Were you taught how to apply this theory by your teachers?
III. Rewrite the second sentence in such a way that it has the same meaning as the one before it:
1. The architect has drawn plans for an extension of the house
2. They haven't cleaned the streets this week.
The streets _____________________________________
3. No one has signed this cheque.
This cheque ______________________________________________
4. He couldn't repair the broken vase.
5. They'll have to change the date of the meeting again
6. The robber made the bank manager hand over the money
The bank manager___________________________________________
7. The postman was bitten by our dog.
8. They will catch all the prisoners again by tonight.
All the prisoners____________________________
9. Sally was given a microcomputer for her birthday by her parents
Sally's parents __________________________________________________
10. Someone has stolen my bike.
My bike _________________________________________________
11. The mechanic serviced my car last week.
12. They don't eat the cake because it is very bad.
The cake ___________________________________
13. The garage is going to repair the car for us next week
14. Somebody repaired her car yesterday.
15. That old house at the end of the road has been sold
16. My suit needs to be cleaned before the interview.
I must ___________________________________
17. Mr. Dryden mended the washing machine for me
I had __________________________________________________
18. People speak English in Australia. English
I. Hãy dùng từ gợi ý viết thành câu.
1. he/ tall
2. she/ short
3. Lan/ thin
4. Mai/ beautiful
5. Nam/ heavy
II. Hãy viết các từ trái nghĩa của những từ sau.
1. thin # ..................................
2. short #...................................
3. big #...................................
4. heavy #...................................
5. strong #..................................
6. young #..................................