Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest.
Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best completes the sentence.
1. A: Can you help me carry my bags, please? B: -_________.
2. Would you like ___________ a game of chess?
3. We have learned English ___________ 2002.
4. When were you born? - I was born ___________ 23rd March, 1998.
5. My grandfather is not ______ enough to walk as fast as he used to.
6. When my father was young, he used to _______ tennis in the afternoons.
7. Mary hates ________, but she loves cooking.
8. I am sure he will enjoys ____________ on his trip.
Read the following passage and answer the questions.
Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He moved to Canada and then to the USA in the 1870s. In America, he worked with deaf-mutes at Boston University. Soon, Bell started experimenting with ways of transmitting speech over a long distance. This led to the invention of the telephone. Thomas Watson was Bell's assistant. Bell and Watson introduced the telephone in 1876. Bell demonstrated his invention at a lot of exhibitions. He died in 1922.
Rewrite these sentences as directed.
2. The doctor said: “You should take a few days off.”
→ The doctor advised _________________________________
3. She started learning to swim five years ago.
She has _______________________________________
4. Lan said “Please give Tim this dictionary.”
→ Lan told______________________________________
Use the given words to make sentences.