Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi cấp tỉnh môn Tiếng Anh lớp 9 Sở GD-ĐT Bắc Ninh năm học 2015 - 2016
Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi cấp tỉnh môn Tiếng Anh lớp 9 năm 2016 có đáp án
Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi cấp tỉnh môn Tiếng Anh lớp 9 Sở GD-ĐT Bắc Ninh năm học 2015 - 2016 là tài liệu ôn thi HSG tiếng Anh mới nhất dành cho các em lớp 9 ôn tập. Kỳ thi khóa ngày 24/03/2016 có kèm đáp án chi tiết, cụ thể. Sau đây mời các em học sinh cùng thử sức.
UBND TỈNH BẮC NINH
SỞ GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO TẠO
ĐỀ CHÍNH THỨC
(Đề thi gồm có 08 trang)
ĐỀ THI CHỌN HỌC SINH GIỎI CẤP TỈNH
NĂM HỌC 2015 - 2016
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh - Lớp 9
Thời gian làm bài: 150 phút (không kể thời gian giao đề)
Ngày thi: 24 tháng 3 năm 2016
PART ONE: PHONETICS (1.0 POINT)
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the rest. (0.5 pt)
1. A. relaxed B. reached C. supposedly D. crossed
2. A. machine B. stomach C. architecture D. chorus
3. A. mature B. pasture C. gesture D. creature
4. A. individual B. considerate C. education D. procedure
5. A. laugh B. though C. tough D. enough
II. Choose the word whose stress pattern is different from that of the others. (0.5 pt)
1. A. politics B. literature C. chemistry D. statistics
2. A. likeable B. oxygen C. museum D. energy
3. A. apology B. stupidity C. generously D. astronomy
4. A. television B. distinguish C. immediate D. acquaintance
5. A. experience B. introduce C. determine D. appliance
PART TWO: LEXICO-GRAMMAR (7.0 POINTS)
I. Choose the best answer to complete each of the following sentences. (2.5 pts)
1. She put ______ speaking to him as long as possible.
A. off B. over C. away D. back
2. She ______ her neighbour's children for the broken window.
A. accused B. complained C. blamed D. denied
3. _____ Internet can be used as _______ means of education and communication.
A. An - a B. The - a C. The - the D. - a
4. She is traveling to work by bus today because her car is being ______.
A. stopped B. broken C. serviced D. rented
5. Tony's boss doesn't want him to _______ a habit of using the office phone for his personal calls.
A. make B. do C. have D. increase
6. My parents were so disappointed when I ______ college.
A. got out of B. fell out of C. dropped out of D. moved out of
7. The noisy children ______ my nerves. I wish they'd quiet down!
A. get out of B. get in C. get into D. get on
8. On the table _______.
A. the disks lay B. did the disks lie C. lay the disks D. lied the disks
9. She wondered _______ her father looked like now after so many years away.
A. how B. whose C. that D. what
10. The company was finally safe ______ bankruptcy.
A. with B. by C. from D. in
11. All the boys are good at cooking, but _______ is as good as the girls.
A. either B. none C. neither D. every
12. The bank is reported in the local newpapers ______ in the broad daylight.
A. to be robbed B. robbed
C. to have been robbed D. having been robbed
13. Clothing made of plastic fibers has certain advantages over _______ made of natural fibers like cotton, wool, or silk.
A. that B. the one C. what D. which
14. The government would be forced to use its emergency powers ______ further rioting to occur.
A. should B. did C. were D. had
15. _______ we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
A. For now B. Now that C. Ever since D. By now
16. Go on. Tell me the gossips. I'm all _______.
A. full B. head C. eyes D. ears
17. If only motorists _______ drive more carefully.
A. might B. shall C. would D. should
18. He lost control of his temper and ______ his anger.
A. lost sight of B. took note of C. made room for D. gave way to
19. Mr. Nixon refused to answer the questions on the _______ that the matter was confidential.
A. reason B. excuses C. grounds D. foundations
20. _______ at his lessons, he couldn't catch up with his classmates.
A. Hardly as he worked B. Hard as he worked
C. Hard as he does D. Hard as he was
21. _______ is more interested in rhythm than in melody is apparent from his compositions.
A. That Philip Glass B. Philip Glass, who
C. Philip Glass D. Because Philip Glass
22. ______ invisible to the unaided eye, ultraviolet light can be detected in a number of ways.
A. Although is B. Despite C. Even though it D. Although
23. In fact, the criminals _____ in because the front door was wide open and they just walked in.
A. needn't have broken B. shouldn't have break
C. didn't need to break D. couldn't have broken
24. Nam: In my opinion, computer is one of the most wonderful inventions.
A. There is no doubt about it. B. Yes. Congratulations!
C. You shouldn't have said that. D. Pardon?
25. Nga: Would you mind if I closed the door? It's too cold outside.
A. I'd rather you didn't. It's stuffy. B. No, I don't like.
C. No, never mind. D. Why not do it?
II. Supply the correct tense or form of the verb in each of the following brackets. (1.5 pt)
1. I'd rather you (not wear) ___________ jeans to the office.
2. The money (steal) ___________ in the robbery was never found.
3. This building (finish) ___________ by the end of 2018.
4. It was our fault to keep you waiting so long. We (inform) _________ you in advance.
5. You look tired. You (work) __________ hard?
6. A: "Was Carol at the party last night?"
B: "Yes, she (wear) ___________ a really nice dress."
7. I remember (give) ___________ a toy drum on my fifth birthday.
8. It was urgent that she (leave) ___________ at once.
9. Minh (steal) ________ your money yesterday because we went out together all yesterday.
10. Jim hurt his arm while (play) _________ tennis.
III. Give the correct form of the word in each bracket in the following passage. (2.0 pts)
You may know that Asian, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cultures have (1. TRADITION) ___________ used garlic in their dishes. What you may not know is that garlic is also thought of as a (2. VALUE) ________ medicine by many ancient civilizations. Today, (3. PROFESSION) ________ in the field of nutrition have come up with new information which is indeed quite (4. SURPRISE) __________. Apparently, not only is garlic good for you but it also helps overcome various (5. ILL) _______. The main (6. ADVANTAGE) ________ to eating garlic is of course bad (7. BREATHE) ________. Cooking it reduces the strong smell and eating parsley, which is a natural deodorizer, also helps (8. MINIMUM) ______ the smell. Thus, it's time we took the benefits of garlic (9. SERIOUS) ________. Why not add it to some of your (10. FAVOR) ________ dishes.
IV. There are ten mistakes in the following passage. Find and correct them. (1.0 pt)
In many countries in the process of industrialize, overcrowded cities present a major problem. The underpopulation of towns is mainly caused by the drift of great numbers of people in the rural areas. The only long-term solution is make life in the areas more attractively, which would encourage people to stay here. This could be achieved by providing incentives to people to go and work in the villages. Moreover, facilities in the rural areas, so as transportation, health, and educational services should be improved.
PART THREE: READING (6.0 POINTS)
I. Read the passage and choose the best option for each of the following blanks. (2.0pts)
A surprising number of popular spectator sports, for example, football or baseball, (1) _______ in Europe or the USA in the 19th century. This did not happen by chance. It was the result of changes in the (2) ______ people lived in those places at that time. Until then more people lived in the country than in towns. They worked in small groups and had no (3) ______ time off. All this changed with the growth of factories and industry in the 19th century, first in Europe and then in the USA. For the first time most people began to live in towns, and they (4) _______ themselves with regular free time. They had more leisure time than (5) ______ before. This resulted (6) _______ the need for the organized entertainment. Suitable games were developed or invented, typically team games, in which the crowds could (7) ______ sides and become involved. This gave people some of the entertainment they needed in their free time. The (8) ______ explosion in TV, with the introduction of satellite and cable channels, has caused an increase in (9) _______ for sports as entertainment. The money TV has brought to games such as football, tennis, and baseball (10) ______that spectator sports will certainly go on playing an important part in our lives.
1. A. started B. stemmed C. came D. appeared
2. A. manner B. style C. method D. way
3. A. steady B. square C. regular D. normal
4. A. found B. realized C. presented D. noticed
5. A. just B. having C. ever D. previously
6. A. from B. by C. with D. in
7. A. choose B. take C. select D. decide
8. A. recent B. late C. lately D. later
9. A. need B. requirement C. request D. demand
10. A. signifies B. concludes C. means D. states
II. Read the text below and fill in each blank with ONE suitable word. (2.0pts)
At sixteen, Henry Vincent was separated from his family as a result of the war. He wandered aimlessly from one country to another (1) ________ finally settling down in Australia, (2) _______ he was trained as an electronics engineer. He established his own business but it called for so much work that marriage was out of the (3) ________ .
His retirement suddenly (4) _______ him realize how lonely he was and he decided to (5) ______ up a hobby. With his interest in electronics, amateur radio seemed a natural choice. He installed his own equipment and obtained a licence and his call sign, which is the set of letters and numbers used to identify oneself when making radio contact (6)_____ other radio amateurs all over the world.
Soon Henry had a great many contacts in far-off places. One in particular was a man in California with (7) ________ he had much in common. One night the man in California happened to mention the village in Europe he had come from. Suddenly, Henry realised that this man was, in fact, his younger brother, Peter. At first, the two brothers were at a (8) ______ for words but then little by little they filled (9) _______ the details of their past lives and not long afterwards Henry Vincent flew to California to (10) ________ reunited with his brother.