Choose the word whose underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.
Choose the word or phrase (a, b, c or d) that best fits the blank space in each sentence.
6. I had no money____ me when I came across a nice shirt.
7. Look_____ ! There’s a big hole in front of you.
8. She often goes swimming ______ Sunday mornings.
9. Jack insisted that he didn’t need any help. _______ I helped him anyway.
10. Thousands of people took part in a _____ of support for free higher education.
11. It is estimated that four million ______ watched the show on television.
12. Some English words have the same pronunciation ___________ they are spelled differently, for example, dear and deer.
13. If the engine gets too hot, it________ to smoke.
14. Do you know the man_______ over there?
15. I hope the children soon got used_______ in much smaller house.
16. Help is needed for families________ homes were destroyed in the storm.
17. The seeds____ into flour which is used for pancakes, noodles and breads.
18. _____the gold medal, he will have to do better than that.
19. When I first met him, he wore__________
20. ‘Won’t you have something to drink?’ ‘_________ ’