I. Choose the best answer to complete these following sentences.
1. Brian asked Judy________ to dinner and a movie.
2. My wife backed me _______ over my decision to quit my job.
3. The racing car _______ after it crashed into the fence.
4. Our car ________ at the side of the highway in the snowstorm.
5. Mike _________ Alaska, so he's used to cold weather.
6. Jane had a difficult childhood. She _______ a broken home.
7. The woman _______ when the police told her that her son had died.
8. Our teacher broke the final project _______ into three separate parts.
9. Somebody _______ last night and stole our stereo.
10. The firemen had to break _______ the room to rescue the children.
11. The bomb_______ when he rang the bell.
12. No one really believed it when the news came through that the "Titanic" had _______ on her maiden voyage.
13. Does this jacket_______ my trousers?
14. He _______ about his new car all the time.
15. Do you think you could _______ this work with me some time, Peter?
16. We have permission to_______ with the plan.
17. I know you find the course boring, Pauline, but since you've started it, you might as well _____ it.
18. The building of the new bridge will_______ as planned.
19. I see the price of bread has _______ again.
20. He was caught shop - lifting but since this was his first offence he was_______ with a warning.
II. Choose the best answer to complete these following sentences.
1. She _______ her father; everyone says how alike they are!
2. There was a power cut and all the lights _______.
3. You look upset, Sven. Have you and Niger _______ again?
4. Paul, do you think you could ____ me ____ for the night? It's a bit too late to go home now.
5. Children made their hair_______.
6. The doctor asked me to _______ my shirt.
7. Shall we go somewhere _______ a drink?
8. Everyone can _______ in this school activity.
9. Do you want to stop in this town, or shall we _______?
10. Who will ________ the children while you go out to work?
11. Please ________ the light, it’s getting dark here.
12. The nurse has to _________ at the midnight.
13. There is an inflation. The prices __________.
14. Remember to _______ your shoes when you are in a Japanese house.
15. You can __________ the new words in the dictionary.
16. It’s cold outside. __________ your coat.
Frank never turns up on time for a meeting.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
My father still hasn’t really recovered from the death of my mother.
The bomb exploded with a loud bang which could be heard all over the town.