Đề thi học kỳ 2 môn tiếng Anh lớp 10 trường THPT Gia Định, TP. Hồ Chí Minh năm học 2013 - 2014
Đề thi học kỳ 2 môn tiếng Anh lớp 10
Trong bài viết này, mời các em học sinh cùng luyện tập với Đề thi học kỳ 2 môn tiếng Anh lớp 10 trường THPT Gia Định, TP. Hồ Chí Minh năm học 2013 - 2014 với nhiều dạng bài tập hay và bổ ích giúp các em ôn tập hiệu quả. Sau đây mời các em cùng làm bài nhé!
MÃ ĐỀ 131
A/ MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS:
I/ Identify the mistake in the following sentences:
1. People practice conversation so that the environment can preserve their needs and the needs of all other living things.
A B C D
2. We go to a school almost every day a week.
A B C D
3. He studies English in order to want to get a good job in the future.
A B C D
4. Unless I don't tell my son a story, he won't go to sleep at night.
A B C D
5. We were all surprised with how much older the little girl looked.
A B C D
II/ Read the following passage and choose the best answer to the questions below:
It is difficult to know how many elephants once lived in the continent, but there may have been at least 3 -5 million elephants in Africa in the early part of the 20th century. People have always hunted elephants for meat, hides and ivory. As the human population grew and weapons became more advanced, elephants were under greater threat. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, there was a huge decline in the number of elephants due to the increase in poaching. It is estimated that there are now about 500,000 elephants and they are living in a small number of countries. A ban was given on all international trade in ivory in 1989, and many governments started to give poachers severe punishments. Thanks to such timely actions, some elephant populations, especially those in southern Africa, have recovered over the last decade. However, numerous threats remain for Africa's elephants.
6. It is difficult to know ...
A. why elephants have been poached.
B. how many elephants are living now.
C. the exact number of elephants that once lived in the continent.
D. why elephants were under greater threat.
7. Elephants are hunted ...
A. because they have nowhere to hide.
B. for their meat, skin and ivory.
C. so that human population grows.
D. because they are very big.
8. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, the number of elephants ....
A. increased hugely B. raised too much
C. fell slightly D. decreased sharply
9. Nowadays, elephants are found ....
A. in all over the world. B. in most of tropical countries.
C. in all international trade. D. only in certain countries in the world.
10. The trade in ivory ...
A. has been prohibited all over the world since 1989.
B. has been banned in the early 1980s.
C. was forbidden in southern Africa.
D. has recovered over the last decade.
III/ Choose the word or phrase that best completes the following sentences:
11. In the early days, films were little more than ... photographs, usually one minute in length.
A. moving B. developing C. playing D. changing
12. My sister ... the work before we ....
A. finished/had gone out B. finished/went out
C. had finished/had gone out D. has finished/went out
13. The boy ... how to do the job in such a way.
A. was used to tell B. was used to be told
C. used to be told D. used to telling
14. It is difficult to imagine ... our lives would be like without music.
A. how B. if C. what D. that
15. Do you know the lady was awarded ... honors degree when she was very young?
A. a B. an C. the D. X (no word is needed)
16. If modern technology did not ..., we would never have precious information about the undersea world.
A. have B. challenge C. provide D. exist
17. If he ... to me, we ... friends.
A. had lied/ wouldn't be B. lied/were never
C. lied/would have not been D. had lied/ can't be
18. It ... that the war finally came to an end.
A. was not until in 1975 B. was not until 1975
C. is until 1975 D. was until in 1975
19. We are doing ... to the environment, aren't we?
A. threaten B. destructive C. lost D. damage
20. X: "Do you think that we are destroying the environment?" – Y: "..."
A. Talking rubbish! B. What for? C. Pardon? D. You're welcome.
21. She walked silently ....
A. in order not to want to wake the baby up
B. so as not to wake up the baby
C. so that she doesn't wake the baby up
D. in order that the baby didn't want to wake up
22. There's ... wide and varied selection of cheese at this supermarket.
A. a B. the C. an D. X (no word is needed)
23. If you ... a skeleton in the cellar, please don't mention it to any one.
A. found B. had founded C. happen to find D. are founded
24. Not until you have done all of your homework ...
A. that can you go out and play B. that you can go out and play
C. can go out and play D. can you go out and play
25. X: "Are you taking an important exam?" – Y: "..."
A. Come on, please. B. No, what did you say?
C. Yes, how did you guess? D. Yes, I'd be.
26. Without plants, most water would ... as soon as it falls, taking away valuable soil.
A. give up B. show off C. take up D. run off
27. Music is usually played ... special occasions and sets the tone for them.
A. on B. in C. at D. during
28. ...? – In order to understand how the human body works.
A. What do we need to learn chemistry B. What do we need to learn chemistry for
C. Why do we need to learn chemistry for D. What for do we need to learn chemistry
29. Scientists are investigating the seabed and bringing samples of marine life back to the surface for ....
A. further study B. study farther C. farther study D. study further
IV/ Read the following passage and choose the most suitable option among A, B, C and D to fill each numbered blank:
Conservation (30) ... a concern for the quality of the environment, so that people can enjoy living in it. It means (31) ... it healthy and safe – and an interesting place to live in. A healthy environment also includes clean streets and highways, (32) ... open spaces in cities for parks and playgrounds. Ideal surroundings means landscapes (33) ... of junk and litter. They include regions of wilderness where animals and plants can be protected from the destructive influence of human (34) ....
30. A. includes B. consists C. forms D. makes
31. A. keep B. to keep C. keeping D. kept
32. A. that B. with C. have D. which
33. A. free B. full C. plenty D. fond
34. A. man B. men C. being D. beings
V/ Choose the word whose stress pattern is different from the others:
35. A. different B. festival C. imagine D. popular
36. A. integral B. develop C. existence D. establish
37. A. divide B. threaten C. effort D. program
VI/ Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others:
38. A. appear B. nearly C. tear D. idea
39. A. heard B. heart C. determine D. prefer
40. A. please B. music C. practice D. because
Phần dành cho học sinh ban cơ bản A
VII/ WORD FORM:
41. Since the end of the 1920s, a new cinema form has appeared, the ... cinema. MUSIC
42. Many countries have become ... on imports of oil. DEPEND
43. She seemed to ... forget about his birthday. COMPLETE
44. Music can express feelings, such as ..., hate, love or friendship. ANGRY
45. We had difficulty in ... you living without your parents' support. IMAGINE
VIII/ Finish the following sentences, using the word given. Do not change the word given and you must use between two and five words, including the word given:
46. He didn't return home from work until it got dark. THAT
→ It was not until it . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . home from work.
47. She has not won any prizes since 2008. A
→ She last . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in 2008.
48. I lied to her because I didn't want to upset her. NOT
→ I lied to her so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .her.
49. I advised you to get up early every day. WOULD
→ If . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .get up early every day.
50. People think he is a millionaire. THOUGHT
→ He . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .a millionaire.
Phần dành cho học sinh ban cơ bản D
VII/ WORD FORM:
41. Who is responsible for the ... of the machine? MAINTAIN
42. It's ... to persuade him when he's in bad mood. Let's talk to him another time. HOPE
43. The atmosphere in our classes is very .... COMPETE
44. You should be ... of yourselves. PRIDE
45. He has changed beyond .... RECOGNIZE
VIII/ Finish the following sentences, using the word given. Do not change the word given and you must use between two and five words, including the word given.
46. They never stopped worrying about her until they heard from her. THAT
→It was not until they heard from her.....about her
47. She hadn't seen him for over 10 years. MORE
→ It . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . since she had seen him.
48. So that we could finish the work before deadline, we asked for their help. ABLE
→ We asked for their help in .......................................................... to finish the work before deadline.
49. If Margaret had believed in her parents, she wouldn't get into trouble now. REGRETS
→ Margaret is getting into trouble and now she ................................................................. her parents.
50. Please do not come to work late. REQUESTED
→ Employees of this company . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .to work late.