Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi môn Tiếng Anh lớp 10 trường THPT Nông Cống I, Thanh Hóa năm học 2013 - 2014
Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi môn Tiếng Anh lớp 10 có đáp án
Trong bài viết này, VnDoc xin giới thiệu Đề thi chọn học sinh giỏi môn Tiếng Anh lớp 10 trường THPT Nông Cống I, Thanh Hóa năm học 2013 - 2014 có kèm đáp án cụ thể. Sau đây mời các em học sinh cùng làm bài và tham khảo đáp án cuối bài nhé!
Part A: PHONETICS (5 pts)
Question I: Choose and write in your answer sheet the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the rest of the group. (3pts)
1. A. closure B. pleasant C. decision D. pleasure
2. A. suggestion B. devotion C. congestion D. digestion
3. A. controlled B. returned C. formed D. convinced
Question II: Find the word with the stress pattern different from that of the other three words in each question. (2 pts)
4. A. compulsory B. curriculum C. certificate D. secondary
5. A. compliment B. tradition C. apologize D. develop
Part B: LEXICAL AND GRAMMAR (40 pts)
Question I: Choose the most suitable word or phrase to complete each sentence. (15 pts)
6. David learned to play............violin when he was at ............ university.
A. -/- B. the/- C. the/the D. -/the
7. Last year, Peter earned ...............his brother.
A. twice as much as B. twice as many as
C. twice more than D. twice as more as
8. She used to .......... her living by delivering vegetables to local hotels.
A. have B. win C. earn D. get
9. The new office block ........... well with its surroundings.
A. blends in B. stands out C. shapes up D. sets off
10. Are your plans for this weekend still ...................?
A. the same B. same C. like D. alike
11. .................. I had nothing for breakfast but an apple, I had lunch early.
A. However B. Since C. Due to D. Therefore
12. ............. you run quickly, you are likely to be late.
A. If B. Unless C. Since D. However
13. Ninety ............ the maximum length of time allowed for entrance exams to this school.
A. minute is B. minutes are C. minute are D. minutes is
14. I felt so much better, my doctor ............ me to take a holiday by the sea.
A. suggested B. advised C. accepted D. considered
15. E-mail is an effective form of communication ...........many busy businesses rely.
A. on which B. on that C. which D. that
16. Florida, ...........as the Sunshine State, attracts many tourists every year.
A. being known B. that is known C. known D. is known
17. I will back you up in whatever you do.
A. disturb you B. help you C. sue you D. support you
18. There were very large rooms with ...........in the house.
A. beautiful decorating walls B. beautiful walls decorating
C. beautifully decorated walls D. beautifully decorating walls
19. When I was young, everyone in the family ................ gather together at home for christmas.
A. would B. used to C. was used D. use
20.- "She's the best pianist in the school." - "........................"
A. That's that. B. Never mind!
C. That's OK! D. You can say that again.
Question II: Put each verb in brackets into an appropriate form. (10 pts)
21. His roommate (always enter)............... the room without knocking first, which annoys him a lot.
22. By the time you come here again, this palace (build)..............
23. We (cook)............all day for the party that evening and by 8 o'clock we still weren't ready.
24. Hardly he (take)............ up the book when the phone (ring)..........
25. It is expected that tax increases (announce)............... in tomorrow's budget.
26. Come to the room, he saw Mary where he (leave)............ her.
27. The little boy had a lot of trouble (convince).........everyone that he (see).........a mermaid.
28. The girl got into a lot of trouble. She (not tell)............ a lie.
Question III: Supply the correct form of the word in capital letters. (10 pts)
29. She's extremely ................ about modern art. KNOWLEDGE
30. If your luggage is very .................. you'll have to pay an excess charge. WEIGHT
31. On the way to the country we sometimes stopped to admire the ............ scenery. PICTURE
32. I ............ met an old friend last week. EXPECT
33. Is it possible to ............... between hobby and an interest. DISTINCT
34. There were complaints from ............... residents . NEAR
35. Great ............ have been taken to ensure the safety of passengers. PAINFUL
36. Jim is one of the most ................ members of the committee. SPEAK
37. We are continuing to pour billions of tons of .................. into the atmosphere every year. POLLUTE
38. She lost the case because of her ............... evidence. ADMIT
Question IV: There is one mistake in each sentence. Find the mistake and write your correction in the space provided below. (5 pts)
39. Tom's very good at science when his brother is absolutely hopeless.
40. A good artist like a good engineer learns as much from their mistakes as from successes.
41. Marry told me that it was the loveliest gift she has ever received.
42. The direct sources of fresh water in lakes are rain, melted snowy and ice.
43. Many women have reached high positions inbusiness but there are still little women in government.
PART C: READING COMPREHENSION (30 pts)
Question I: Read the following passage and then choose the most suitable word or phrase for each space. (10 pts)
Many parents believe that they should begin to teach their children to read when they are (44)______more than toddlers. This is fine if the child shows a real interest but forcing a child could be counter-productive if she isn't ready. Wise parents will have a (45)_____attitude and take the lead from their child. What they should provide is a selection of (46)______toys, books and other activities. Nowadays there is plenty of good (47)_____available for young children, and of course, seeing plenty of books in use about the house will also (48)_____them to read.
Of course, books are no longer the only source of stories and information. There is also a huge range of videos, which can reinforce and extend the pleasure a child finds in a book and are (49)______valuable in helping to increase vocabulary and concentration. Television gets a bad review as far as children are concerned, mainly because too many spend too much time watching programmes not intended for their age (50)______. Too many television programmes induce an incurious, uncritical attitude that is going to make learning much more difficult. However, (51)______ viewing of programmes designed for young children can be useful. Just as adults enjoy reading a book after seeing it serialised on television, so children will pounce on books which (52)______their favourite television characters, and videos can add a new (53)_____to a story known from a book.
44. A. scarcely B. rarely C. slightly D. really
45. A. cheerful B. contented C. relaxed D. hopeful
46. A. bright B. thrilling C. energetic D. stimulating
47. A. material B. sense C. produce D. amusement
48. A. provoke B. encourage C. provide D. attract
49. A. properly B. worthily C. perfectly D. equally
50. A. set B. band C. group D. limit
51. A. cautious B. choice C. approved D. discriminating
52. A. illustrate B. extend C. feature D. possess
53. A. revival B. dimension C. option D. existence
Question II: Supply the most suitable word for each blank. (10 pts)
During the teenage years, many young people can at (54)............ be difficult to talk to. They often seem to dislike (55).........questioned. They may seem unwilling to talk about their work at school. This is a normal development at this (56).............. . Though it can be very hard for parents to (57)........., it is part of becoming independent of teenagers trying to be adult while they are (58).............growing up. Young people are usually unwilling to talk if they believe that questions are trying to check up on them.
Parents should do their (59).........to talk to their son and daughter (60).........school, work, and future plans but should not push them to talk if they do not (61).........to. Parents should also watch for danger signs. Some young people in trying to be (62).........may experience with sex, drugs, alcohol or smoking. Parents need to watch for any signs of unusual behavior which may be connected (63).........these and help if necessary.
Question III: Read the passage and choose the best answers to questions below. (10 pts)
After two decades of growing student enrollments and economic prosperity , business schools in the United States have started to face harder times. Only Harvard's MBA School has shown a substantial increase in enrollments in recent years. Both Princeton and Stanford have seen decreases in their enrollments. Since 1990, the number of people receiving Masters in Business Administration (MBA) degrees, has dropped about 3 percent to 75,000, and the trend of lower enrollment rates is expected to continue.
There are two factors causing this decrease in students seeking an MBA degree. The first one is that many graduates of four-year colleges are finding that an MBA degree does not guarantee a plush job on Wall Street or in other financial districts of major American cities . Many of the entry-level management jobs are for students graduating with Master of Arts degrees in English and the humanities as well as those holding MBA degrees. Students have asked the question, " Is an MBA degree really what I need to be best prepared for getting a good job?" The second major factor has been the cutting of American payrolls and the lower number of entry-level jobs being offered. Business needs are changing , and MBA schools are struggling to meet the new demands.
64. What is the main focus of this passage?
A. Jobs on Wall Street
B. Types of graduate degrees
C. Changes in enrollment for MBA schools
D. How schools are changing to reflect the economy
65. The phrase "two decades" in the first paragraph refers to a period of................ .
A. 10 years B. 20 years C. 50 years D. 100 years
66. The word "prosperity" in the first paragraph could best be replaced by.................. .
A. success B. surplus C. Nurturing D. Education
67. Which of the following business schools has NOT shown a decrease in enrollment?
A. Princeton B. Harvard C. Stanford D. A and B are correct
68. The phrase " trend of " in the first paragraph is closest in meaning to which of the following?
A. reluctance of B. drawback to C. movement toward D. extraction from
69. As used in the second paragraph, the word "seeking" could best be replaced by which of the following?
A. examining B. avoiding C. seizing D. pursuing
70. Which of the following descriptions most likely applies to Wall Street?
A. A centre for international affairs B. A major financial centre
C. A shopping district D. A neighborhood in New York
71. According to the passage, what are two causes of declining business school enrollment?
A. Lack of necessity for an MBA and an economic recession
B. Low salary and foreign competition
C. Fewer MBA schools and fewer entry-level jobs
D. Declining population and economic prosperity
72. The first paragraph is mainly concerned with which of the following?
A. factors contributing to the decline in MBA students
B. A current trend affecting the nation's business schools
C. The difference between Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford
D. Two decades of hard times for business schools
73. As used in the second paragraph, the word " struggling" is closest in meaning to............ .
A. evolving B. plunging C. starting D. striving
PART D: WRITING (25 pts)
Question I: Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar as possible in meaning to the sentence printed before it. (5 pts)
74. The Picasso painting was so expensive that nobody could buy it.
75. Because he didn't study hard, he failed the exam.
76. She doesn't intend to meet him any longer.
She has ___________________________________________________
77. Michael Jackson was known as the king of Pop.
78. Couldn't you have got a bus to the station?
Question II: Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar as possible in meaning to the sentence printed before it. Do not change the form of the given word. (5 pts)
79. Our house is going to be painted by a local film. HAVE
80. "You have broken my vase of flowers, Jane.". John said ACCUSED
81. I've never met such a famous person before. FIRST
82. The passengers don't realise how lucky they have been. LITTLE
83. Success in the academic field depends on your ability to amass qualifications. MORE
Question III: Essay writing (15 pts)
Write an essay (about 100 to 150 words) to say about advantages and disadvantages of using the Internet.
----------THE END ---------