I. Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
II. Choose the word or phrase that best completes each unfinished sentence below or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase.
6. His wife ______ five years ago.
7. We usually open our present _______ midnight.
8. _____ Thanksgiving Day, families come together for a special dinner.
9. Where ______ before you moved here?
10. She is dying ______ cancer.
11. The frog changed ______ a handsome prince.
12. The committee decided ______ the offer.
13. His wife recently gave birth to a ______.
14. You have nothing to ______ by telling the truth.
He's getting very excited about his holiday.
III. Choose the words or phrases that are not correct in Standard English.
He wokes up and finded himself in the hospital.
On Christmas, neighborhoods are beautiful with many bright Christmas lights.
When he told me the price, I nearly died for shock.
It's a traditional to sing "Auld Lang Syne" on New Year's Eve.
Many people wisdom stayed at home in the bad weather.
IV. Choose the word whose the underlined part is pronounced differently.
V. Read the following passage and choose the item (a, b, c, or d) that best answers each of the questions about it.
In Scotland, there is a popular legend about a monster. The monster lives in a lake called Loch Ness, near the town of Inverness. Loch Ness is 32 km long, 5 km wide, and very, very deep. The monster's name is Nessie. People say that she is very big, and that she has got a long neck, like a snake.
The legend of the monster is very famous, and millions of tourists from all over the world come to Loch Ness. Everybody wants to be the first person to see Nessie. Come to Scotland and Loch Ness _ that person may be you!
legend (n) : truyền thuyết monster (n) : quái vật
1. What does the word 'popular' in the first line mean?
2. What is the length of Loch Ness?
3. Which of the following does the word 'she' refer to?
4. The tourists want to _____ .
5. Which of the following is not true?