Tổng hợp bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4 VOLUNTEER WORK có đáp án
Tổng hợp bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4 VOLUNTEER WORK có đáp án
Mời quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh tham khảo Tổng hợp bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4 VOLUNTEER WORK có đáp án. Bao gồm nhiều bài tập bổ trợ cho Unit 4 tiếng Anh lớp 11 sẽ giúp các em học sinh nắm vững từ vựng và cấu trúc ngữ pháp đã học.
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4: Volunteer Work có đáp án
I. Circle the word with the italic consonant sound different from that of the others in each group.
1. hour half home house
2. union useful under university
3. water whale whole window
4. when who where which
5. usually uranium uniform umbrella
6. answer world write jewellery
7. children kitchen beach chemistry
8. game organize angry college
9. year youth jealous yellow
10. ugly unit ulcer upset
11. mow lawn forward power
12. win wine wrong wet
13. calm would folk help
14. uncle drink danger single
15. donation natural situation suggestion
II. Complete each of the following sentences with the correct form or tense of an appropriate verb from the box.
suffer overcome volunteer repair comfort
donate participate join raise perform
1. Claire ______ at the homeless shelter once a week.
2. I've never seen this play ______ before.
3. He ______ to know that most students in the class knew even less than he.
4. He made a rash decision and now he ______ for it.
5. She ______ her difficulties to graduate.
6. Some people were in the streets ______ money for charity.
7. He ______ thousands of pounds to charity.
8. It was too badly damaged ______.
9. Would you mind if I ______ you for a drink in the bar?
10. We encourage students ______ fully in the running of the college.
IV. Rewrite the sentences beginning with an appropriate participle (present, past or perfect).
1. When she saw the dog coming towards her, she quickly crossed the road.
2. If it is looked after carefully, the plant can live through the winter.
3. As I don't have a credit card, I found it difficult to book an airline ticket over the phone.
4. Keith spent a lot of time filling in job application forms because he was unemployed.
5. Because I was walking quickly, I soon caught up with her.
6. The house was built of wood, so it was clearly a fire risk.
7. I was eager to catch the bus in good time because I had been told off the day before for arriving late.
8. She didn't know where the theater was, so she asked for directions at the hotel reception.
9. As she was a nurse, she knew what to do after the accident.
10. He had spent his childhood in Oslo so he knew the city well.
11. The fruit was expensive because it was imported.
12. We has spent nearly all our money so we couldn't afford to stay at a hotel.
13. As we didn't want to offend him, we said nothing about his paintings.
14. Although James is known mainly as a writer of novel, he has now written a successful biography.
15. Although it had been hunted close to extinction, the rhino is once again common in this area.
VI. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. The missing children were last seen ______ (play) near the river.
2. ______ (complete) the book, he had a holiday.
3. ______ (find) only in the Andes, the plant is used by local people to treat skin diseases.
4. The accident seems ______ (happen) at around 1. 00 p. m yesterday.
5. Do something! Don't just sit there ______ (twiddle) your thumbs.
6. Last year I studied abroad. I appreciate ______ (have) the opportunity to live and study in a foreign country. .
7. ______ (look) down from the hill, the town spread out before us towards the coast.
8. Marta doesn't like to have her picture ______ (take). She avoids ______ (photograph).
9. I don't agree with ______ (smack) children if they do something wrong.
10. The book ______ (publish) last week is his first novel.
11. ______ (photocopy) all the papers, Sarah put them back in the file.
12. I found a coin ______ (lie) on the sidewalk.
13. Our mechanic said that he expects ______ (fix) the brake on the car before we pick it up.
14. Life must be unpleasant for people ______ (live) near busy airports.
15. ______ (park) the car about a kilometre from the stadium, I walked the rest of the way.
VII. Choose the correct alternatives. Sometimes both are possible
1. He insisted to pay/ on paying for the meal.
2. The interviewer started off to ask/ by asking me why I wanted the job.
3. What am I going to do? I forgot bringing/ to bring my calculus text, and I need it for the review today.
4. I can clearly recall him saying/ his saving that he was meeting Sarah at eight o'clock.
5. Mrs Gates appreciated serving/ being served breakfast in bed when she wasn't feeling well.
6. You'd better save/ to save some money for a rainy day. You can't count on rescueing/ being rescued by your parents every time you get into financial difficult.
7. Waiting/ Having waited six months for the washing machine being delivered/ to be delivered, I decided to cancel/ cancelling the order.
8. By telephoning/ In telephoning every hour, she managed to speak/ speaking to the doctor.
9. The ticket enables you visiting/ to visit both the museum and the art gallery.
10. Watching/ Having watched television to the exclusion of all other activities is not a healthy habit for a growing child.
11. Now I remember you ask/ your asking me to bring sandwiches to the picnic. Your complains about my forgetting/ having forgotten things seem justified. I'm sorry.
12. No one could make Ted feel/ to feel afraid. He refused to intimidate/ to be intimidated by anyone.
13. The government plans to bring/ bringing in new laws forcing/ making parents to take more responsibility for the education of their children.
14. When I was in the supermarket I noticed a man to take/ take some food off the shelf and hide it inside his coat.
15. I overheard her tell/ telling Jack that she was serious ill.
VIII. Complete each of these sentences with an appropriate preposition.
1. He left his job to take care ______ his sick daughter.
2. They will have the opportunity to participate actively ______ the process.
3. The government plans to set ______ a regional library system.
4. He waited until they had carried ______ his orders to the fullest.
5. I volunteered ______ service in the Air Force.
6. He is very good ______ playing games.
7. Some students volunteer to work in remote areas to provide education ______ children.
8. Have you ever taken part ______ volunteer works?
9. All the students like joining ______ the Green Saturday Movement.
10. At the end of her life she suffered ______ Alzheimer's disease.
IX. Imagine you are one of the villagers. Write a letter to thank the students for what they have done. Use the cues given.
Dear Hanh and Trung,
1. I/ write/ thank/ what/ you/ do/ us/ during/ your stay/ remote village//
2. We/ really/ appreciate/ precious help//
3. The newly-built wooden bridge/ very/ useful/ daily transportation//
4. Also/ thanks/ your one-month literacy program/ villagers/ now/ able/ read/ newspapers/ though/ some difficulty//
5. Thus/ we/ extremely thankful/ these invaluable things//
6. We/ wish/ good health/ great success//
7. Look forward/ see/ you/ again/ next year//
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4: Volunteer Work Số 1 có đáp án
II. LANGUAGE FOCUS
A. Choose the one word or phrase -a, b, c, or d -that best completes the sentences.
6. The boys were taken ______ a fishing trip last weekend.
a. in b. to c. on d. for
7. She frequently volunteers ______ extra work because she really likes her job.
a. to b. for c. with d. in
8. We hope that students themselves will enjoy taking part ______ the projects.
a. in b. on c. at d. for
9. He volunteered his ______ as a driver.
a. job b. work c. service d. help
10. All the teachers work on an entirely ______ basis.
a. volunteer b. volunteered c. voluntary d. voluntarily
11. They volunteer to take care of children who have been ______ by the AIDS epidemic.
a. supported b. suffered c. left d. orphaned
12. It's filthy' in here! Are there any volunteers to help ______?
a. light up b. clean up c. clear up d. take up
13. He eventually ______ his disability to achieve some business success.
a. overcame b. destroyed c. overwhelmed d. suffered
14. The new law allows school districts to spend more money on less ______ children.
a. advantageous b. disadvantageous c. advantaged d. disadvantaged
15. A lot of children participated in ______ performances.
a. raising-fund b. fundraising c. fundraise d. funding-raise
B. Choose the word or phrase -a, b, c, or d -that best completes the sentence.
16. I'm sure it's not my fault that Peter found out what we were planning.
I don't remember ______ anyone about it.
a. to tell b. being told c. having told d. to be told
17. The charity is appealing for volunteers ______ elderly patients to and from hospital.
a. to take b. taking c. taken d. who take
18. The building ______ the earthquake but then by a fire.
a. was survived - destroyed b. survived - was destroyed
c. survived - destroyed d. was survived - was destroyed
19. ______ by the boys' behaviour, she complained to the head teacher.
a. She annoyed b. Annoyed c. She was annoyed d. Annoying
20. 'Wait a minute,' said Frank, ______ through the door.
a. run b. runs c. running d. ran
21. ______ a hotel, we looked for somewhere to have dinner.
a. Finding b. We found c. Found d. Having fauna
22. The children enjoyed ______ on fishing . trips.
a. taking b. to be taken c. being taken d. having taken
23. Stacey seems like a bright student. She's always the first ______ her work.
a. to finish b. finishing c. being finished d. to be finished