Bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 15 SPACE CONQUEST có đáp án (1)
Bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 15 SPACE CONQUEST có đáp án
Bài tập tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 15 Space Conquest sẽ mang lại cho các em học sinh các kiến thức bổ ích, cho quý thầy cô giáo những tài liệu giảng dạy hữu dụng nhất. Bộ sưu tập này sẽ mang đến cho học sinh các bài tập tự luận trong Unit 15 Tiếng Anh 11 nhằm giúp các em củng cố từ vựng và cấu trúc ngữ pháp đã học.
I. Circle the word that has a different sound in bold.
1. conquest cosmonaut certainty congratulate
2. challenge lauched achievement psychological
3. earth with birth death
4. space tragic astronaut gravity
5. feat speed leap death
6. flight precise orbit desire
7. shuttle success support century
8. off of if fly
9. tragic challenge congress engineer
10. cosmonaut possible honour hero
II. Fill in each blank with one appropriate word.
Neil Armstrong is an American (1) ______. He is known as the first man to walk on the (2) _____. Armstrong was born (3) ______ August 5th, 1930 in Wapokoneta in Ohio. From 1949 to 1952, he (4) ______ as a pilot in the United States Navy. In 1962, he joined the NASA astronaut (5) ______. On July 20th 1969, Neil Armstrong became the first human to step on the moon's (6) ______. Armstrong received his M. S from the University of Southern California in 1970. He resigned (7) ______ NASA a year later and from 1971 to 1979, he taught at the University of Cincinnati. In 1986, Armstrong was (8) ______ vice chairman of the committee that investigated the space (9) _____ Challenger disaster. Armstrong is also well-known for (10) ______ he said as he stepped onto the surface of the moon: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
III. Choose the correct verb form.
1. Our recent _____ in medicine is the development of laser in treating cancer.
a. achievements b. achievement c. achievers d. achieved
2. Before Gagarin's _____ flight, there were still enormous uncertainties.
a. historical b. historic c. history d. historian
3. Although his flight lasted only 108 minutes, its _____ made him a national hero.
a. succeed b. successful c. successive d. success
4. Although we didn't win, we were able to take some _____ from our performance.
a. satisfying b. satisfactions c. satisfaction d. satisfactory
5. _____ 60,000 people filled the stadium.
a. Approximately b. Approximate c. Approximant d. Approximation
6. Laughter can be a great release of _____.
a. tense b. tension c. tenseness d. tensing
7. May I offer my heartest ______ on your promotion?
a. congratulating b. congratulation c. congratulations d. congratulate
8. The appropriate attitude makes it ______ to socialize among strangers.
a. possible b. possibility c. impossible d. possibly
9. ______, many houses are going to be demolished to make ways for a new supermarket.
a. Fortunate b. Unfortunate c. Fortunately d. Unfortunately
10. Astronauts work in ______ conditions.
a. weight b. weighting c. weightless d. weightlessness
IV. Underline the correct or more natural answer. If both answers are possible, underline them both.
1. Valuables can/ are able to be left in the hotel safe. Please ask at the reception desk.
2. We could/ were able to finish the football match before it started snowing too heavy.
3. The rebels could/ were able to draw on the support of over 20,000 soldiers.
4. Could you/ Were you able to understand Professor Larsen's lecture? I found it really difficult.
5. 'Do you want a game?' 'Sorry, I can't/ 'm not able to play chess.
6. Look at me, I can/ 'm able to ride my bike without any help.
7. When the fire officers arrived they could/ were able to put out the flames in a couple of minutes.
8. The air was so polluted in the city center, I could hardly/ was hardly able to breathe.
9. I knew John had been smoking. I could/ was able to smell the cigarettes when I came into the room.
10. Can you/ Are you able to drive without your glasses?
11. No changes can/ are able to be made to this rail ticket after purchase.
12. He could/ was able to untie the ropes without the guards noticing.
13. She looked all over the house, but couldn't/ wasn't able to find her keys anywhere.
14. I was very busy at work; but I could/ was able to have a couple of days off last week.
15. She swam strongly and could/ was able to cross the river easily, even. though it was swollen by the heavy rain.
V. Put in could or was/ were able to. Sometimes either is possible. Use a negative if necessary.
1. Suddenly all the lights went out. We ______ see a thing.
2. The computer went wrong, but luckily Emma ______ put it right again.
3. There was a big party last night. You ______ hear the music half a mile away.
4. I learnt to read music as a child. I ______ read it when I was five.
5. People heard warnings about the flood, and they ______ move out in time.
6. The train was full. I ______ find a seat anywhere.
7. Mrs. Carter ______ put out the fire before the house burnt down.
8. I looked everywhere for the book, but I ______ find it.
9. The plane ______ take off at eleven o'clock, after the fog had lifted.
10. It was foggy, so the plane ______ take off.
VI. Add question tags to the following statements.
1. He hardly ever makes a mistake, ________?
2. Nobody liked the play, ________?
3. She'd save money if she bought fresh food, ________?
4. She's very' funny. She's got a great sense of humour, ________?
5. The area was evacuated at once, ________?
6. Mr Smith usually remembered his wife's birthdays, ________?
7. It never works very well, ________?
8. He ought to have made a note of it, ________?
9. Neither of them offered to help you, ________?
10. There'll be plenty for everyone, ________?
11. Let's go out for dinner tonight, ________?
12. That isn't Bill driving, ________?
13. Nothing went wrong, ________?
14. There used to be trees here, ________?
15. This won't take long, ________?
16. Don't touch that button, ________?
17. I'm too late, ________?
18. Not a very good film, ________?
19. Somebody wanted a drink, ________?
20. They think he's funny, ________?
VII. Fill in each blank with an appropriate preposition.
1. Yuri Gagarin lifted ______ into space aboard the Vostok 1 ________ 9. 07 a. m. Moscow time ______ 12th April, 1961.
2. He was ______ orbit around the Earth ______ a speed of more than 17,000 miles per hour.
3. No one knew precisely what would happen ______ a human being ______ space.
4. How would the mind deal ______ the psychological tension?
5. How would the body react ______ the extreme changes in temperature?
6. We congratulate you ______ your successful flight.
7. The American people shared ______ the Soviet people their satisfaction for the safe flight.
8. After his death, his hometown was named ______ him.
9. China became the third country in the world to be able to independently carry ______ manned space flights.
10. China launched its first manned spacecraft ______ space ______ October, 2003.
VIII. Use the cues given to write a complete sentence.
1. nowadays/ our lives/ improved/ much/ progresses/ science and technology//
2. II want/ become/ astronaut/ I/ able/ travel/ fast/ sound//
3. Sally Ride/ one/ five astronauts/ space shuttle Challenger/, completed/ successful six-day voyage/ space//
4. Neil Armstrong/ famous! American astronaut/ known/ first/ walk/ the moon//
5. July 20th 1969/ two Americans/ land/ moon/ spaceship/ name/ Apollo//
6. Yuri Gagarin/ first man/ travel/ space//
7. Yuri Gagarin/ make/ another space flight/ if/ tragic accident/ not occur//
8. China/ become/ third country/ world/ able/ independently/ carry/ manned space flights//