I. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence.
1. The children slept deeply _____ the noise.
2. Her hair isn't completely straight - it's slightly ________.
3. Can you see the man ______ is sitting at that table?
4. Argh! This noise is giving me a ________.
5. I talked to _______ grandmother for three hours last night.
6. I want a new TV _____ the one I have now is broken.
7. Some students are more ________ than others.
8. That's the cat ______ we saw yesterday.
9. What size do you need: small, medium or ________?
10. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are ________.
11. Excuse me, I think you've ________ a mistake in our bill.
12. _____ he finished his homework, he played his guitar and sang.
13. A: Where are my sunglasses? B: Here _____ are.
14. The dog ________ you if it hadn´t been tied up.
15. We couldn't find a taxi _____ we walked home.
16. This room is ______ to study. Please switch on the lights.
17. It ________ easy to paint pictures if you knew how to.
18.The man ______ car we bought was from Texas.
19. Ben: Would you like some more dessert? - Thomas: ___________
20. Mary: How often do you go hiking? – Daisy: ___________
II. Read the article about Rosa Bonheur. Choose the best word for each space.
My name's Hannah, and I'm twenty years old. I've got a daughter (1) _____ Nicole. She's (2) _____three now. I live in a small flat (3) _____ the city centre. It isn't a nice place to live. It's very noisy and dirty and there is (4) _____ for Nicole to play.
I want to move out of the city and live in the countryside. But it's very expensive to live there. I will need to earn (5) _____ money to buy a house. There aren't (6) _____ flats for sale in the small villages near here. I will need to buy a car (7) _____.
That's why I study at college. I'm studying Business. While I am at college, my mum looks (8) _____ Nicole. My mum really likes spending time with her. In the evening, I work as a cleaner. I clean people's houses. Nicole comes with me. She plays quietly with her toys while I work.
II. Read the text and choose the best answer for each statement or question.
John liked chocolates very much, but his mother never gave him any, because they were bad for his teeth, she thought. But John had a very nice grandfather. The old man loved his grandson very much, and sometimes he brought John chocolates when he came to visit him. Then his mother let him eat them, because she wanted to make the old man happy. One evening, a few days before John's seventh birthday, he was saying his prayers in his bedroom before he went to bed. "Please, God" he shouted, "make them give me a big box of chocolates for my birthday on Saturday". His mother was in the kitchen and she heard the small boy shouting and went into his bedroom quickly. "Why are you shouting, John?" she asked her son, "God can hear you when you talk quietly" "I know" answer the clever boy with a smile, "but Grandfather's in the next room, and he can't".
Question 1: Why did his grandfather sometimes give him chocolate?
Question 2: Why did his mother let John eat the chocolate he got from his grandfather?
Question 3: What did he pray to God before his seventh birthday?
Question 4: Why did he shout when he was praying?
Question 5: Which sentence is not true according to the passage?
IV. Rearrange the words to make meaningful sentences.