Bài tập tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 9 chương trình mới Unit 9: English in the world
Bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 9 chương trình mới Unit 9
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 9 chương trình mới Unit 9: English in the world được VnDoc.com sưu tầm và đăng tải là tài liệu hay để thầy cô và các em tham khảo trong quá trình học tập và giảng dạy Tiếng Anh lớp 9 chương trình thí điểm. Sau đây mời thầy cô và các em vào tham khảo.
1. Match words (1-6) to their definitions (A-F).
1. guess (v)
A. the thing or idea that a sound, word, sign, etc. represents
2. imitate (v)
B. a noun, an adjective, or a verb made of two or more words or parts of words mistake (n)
3. mistake (n)
C. copy somebody or something
4. meaning (n)
D. something that has been done in the wrong way, or an opinion or statement that is incorrect
5. derivative (n)
E. find the right answer to a question without knowing all the facts
6. compound (n)
F. a word that has been developed or produced from another word
2. Read the two paragraphs below and fill each blank with a suitable word from the boxes.
global second tongue expansion status
English is the most widely spoken language in the world. It is the first language, or mother (1)__________ of around 400 million people living in Britain, Ireland, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and South Africa, and it is spoken as a (2) __________language by millions more. English is learned by many more people worldwide as a foreign language. English has become a(n)(3) __________language, or international language, used by people who speak different native languages to communicate with each other.
English has achieved the (4) __________of a world language over a long period of time, and for various historical and cultural reasons. In the 17th century English was spread by settlers going from Britain to America, and in the 18th and 19th centuries by the (5) __________of the British Empire.
speech simplicity change openness flexibility
English is the language which has the largest vocabulary, with approximately 500,000 words and 300,000 technical terms. One of the basic characteristics of English is the (6) __________ of form. Many English words have been simplified over centuries.
Many English words do not (7) __________according to parts of speech. Another basic characteristic of English is the (8) __________English has become a flexible language in which the same word can operate as many parts of (9) __________. The (10) __________of vocabulary is another basic characteristic of English. English has many borrowed words, derivatives, and compounds.
3. Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.
1. If my English was good enough,____________
2. If I could go to England this summer,_________
3. If English had fewer words, _____________________
4. I would read more English books if_____
5. My English wouldn't be so rusty if_____
4. Complete the sentences by choosing the most suitable ending from the box and making it into a relative clause.
they live next door
they come from other languages
it has just been published by Oxford University Press
I don't like English
they can learn English In the all-English environment
her name is Mai
1. English has borrowed many words________________________________________
2. There are several reasons _______________________________________________
3. I often look up new words in the dictionary_________________________________
4. The French couple ________________________________can get by in Vietnamese.
5. The new girl in our class________________________ is reasonably good at English.
6. Many people come to England and English-speaking countries__________________
5. Read the following conversation and fill each blank with a suitable relative pronoun.
A: Here are our holiday photos from England. That's the village (1) ______ we stayed in. And that's Mary (2) ______ lived next door.
B: Oh, is that the girl (3) ______ father is an English teacher? You’ve told me about her many times.
A: That's right. With the help of her father, I picked up a bit of English.
B: I always take photos of people (4) ______ I meet on holiday and places (5) ______we stay.
A: And this is the photo (6) ______I like best. This is one of the funniest photos (7) ______I've ever taken. We were in a restaurant (8)______lamb with new potatoes and green beans was served. While we were eating, Nick's chair broke. He fell, and his face went right into his plate.
6. Choose the correct statement (A-F) to complete the following conversation.
A. What does that word mean?
B. How do you pronounce this?
C. Did I pronounce that correctly?
D. Sure, what do you want to know?
E. If you talk to your American friends every day, you'll improve quickly.
F. Do you understand?
Mary: Duong, do you like studying English?
Duong: I do like studying English, and I can read it well but speaking can be difficult.
Mary: It's not that hard. (1)_____________________________________________
Duong: Can I ask you a question?
Duong: I have my book from class here. How do you say this word?
Mary: It's pronounced microwave.
Duong: Sorry, I don't understand. (3)______________________________________
Mary: A microwave is a type of oven that cooks or heats food very quickly using electromagnetic waves rather than heat. (4) __________________________
Duong: Yes, I think so. Can you say it again?
Mary: Yes, that's right. That's very good.
Duong:Thanks. And this word? (6)_______________________________________
Mary: That word is pronounced iron.
Duong: Thanks so much.