Choose the best answer that is suitable for each blank or the underlined word or phrase.
1. When the party was ______________, we helped them clear up the room.
2. They _______________ their living by selling fruits and vegetables.
3. “I’m afraid there’s no more milk left in the fridge.”
“Don’t worry we’ll ___________ it.”
4. This job ____________ working very long hours.
5. People use __________ to run machines, heat and cool their home.
6. They’ve finally announced that the elections are _____________ on 21 June.
7. I didn’t understand the problems _____________ she explained it to me.
8. Substance that makes the air, water and soil dangerously dirty is called _____________.
9. We often go to Florida ______________ the winter.
10. John moved away three weeks ________________.
11. Mr. Haines wants ____________ to his office.
12. What about _________________ for a walk?
13. The financial director kept us _________________ for almost an hour.
14. _________________ at the audience, the contestant gave her answer with confidence.
15. The thief admitted ______________ the money.
16. She decided _______________ to another city.
17. We are very happy about your ______________ all the assignments before the deadline.
18. _________________ intensively, he is now quite sure of his success in the coming competition.
19. The book shop rang _______________ that the dictionary you ordered has arrived.
Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
20. We hope that students themselves will enjoy taking part ______ the projects.
21. They volunteer to take care of children who have been ______ by the AIDS epidemic.
22. All the teachers work on an entirely ______ basis.
23. It's filthy' in here! Are there any volunteers to help ______?
24. He eventually ______ his disability to achieve some business success.
25. The new law allows school districts to spend more money on less ______ children.