Choose the word whose main stress is different from the rest.
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
Read the text carefully and then choose the best option for the following questions.
Dolphins are well known for their agility and playful behavior, making them a favorite of wildlife watchers. Many species will leap out of the water, spy-hop (rise vertically out of the water to view their surroundings) and follow ships, often synchronizing their movements with one another. Scientists believe that dolphins conserve energy by swimming alongside ships, a practice known as bow-riding.
Dolphins live in social groups of five to several hundred. They use echolocation to find prey and often hunt together by surrounding a school of fish, trapping them and taking turns swimming through the school and catching fish. Dolphins will also follow seabirds, other whales and fishing boats to feed opportunistically on the fish they scare up or discard.
1. The text is mainly about_________________________
2. According to scientists, how can dolphins conserve energy?
3. According to the text, how many dolphins are there in their social groups?
4. What does the word “school” in the text mean?
Choose the best answer to complete the following sentences below.
1. The sea is polluted, which __________marine plants and animals.
2. Strict laws must be __________ to protect rare or endangered animals.
3. What would Tom do if he ......................... the truth?
4. If Lien ........ a raincoat, she wouldn't have got a cold.
5. Talia: Let's play some music.
6. Diana: Do you think animals will feel happier in zoos?
7. This building _______________by a famous architect, David Brown.
Circle the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
About 5,000 species of plants and animals are eliminated each year.
Circle the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
1. The floor was covered in tiny pieces of paper.
If we had timed, we would have gone on holiday last year.
The doors should are closed before going to bed.
The lost of forest is destroying the earth’s plants and animals.