Bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4: Volunteer work có đáp án
Bài tập tiếng Anh Unit 4 lớp 11 Volunteer work
VnDoc.com xin giới thiệu đến quý thầy cô giáo và các em học sinh Bài tập tự luận Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 4 Volunteer Work có đáp án. Bài tập tự luận tiếng Anh 11 Unit 4 Volunteer Work có đáp án sẽ mang đến cho các em các kiến thức về ngữ pháp từ vựng được học trong Unit 4 tiếng Anh lớp 11 thông qua việc làm các bài tập tự luận này.
* Xem thêm Hướng dẫn học Unit 4 SGK tiếng Anh 11 tại:
I. Circle the word with the italic consonant sound different from that of the others in each group.
II. Complete each of the following sentences with the correct form or tense of an appropriate verb from the box.
suffer overcome volunteer repair comfort
donate participate join raise perform
1. Claire ______ at the homeless shelter once a week.
2. I've never seen this play ______ before.
3. He ______ to know that most students in the class knew even less than he.
4. He made a rash decision and now he ______ for it.
5. She ______ her difficulties to graduate.
6. Some people were in the streets ______ money for charity.
7. He ______ thousands of pounds to charity.
8. It was too badly damaged ______.
9. Would you mind if I ______ you for a drink in the bar?
10. We encourage students ______ fully in the running of the college.
III. Choose the word or phrase with the same meaning as the underlined part.
1. Each nation has many people who voluntarily take care of others.
a. bring along
b. get on with
c. keep up with
d. look after
2. The construction work was carried out by the local contractor.
3. Some high school students take part in helping the handicapped.
4. She had never imagined being able. to visit such remote countries.
5. The lawn needs mowing again.
6. A bank has promised a donation of $24 million toward the disaster fund.
7. Teachers have been asked to concentrate on literacy and numeracy.
a. the ability to read and write
b. basic skills in mathematics
c. good knowledge of literature
d. the ability to write books
8. We were involved in the anti-drug campaign up until the last minute.
d. taken part
9. English classes will be set up for the disadvantaged children.
10. People are now raising money for flood victims.
IV. Rewrite the sentences beginning with an appropriate participle (present, past or perfect).
1. When she saw the dog coming towards her, she quickly crossed the road.
2. If it is looked after carefully, the plant can live through the winter.
3. As I don't have a credit card, I found it difficult to book an airline ticket over the phone.
4. Keith spent a lot of time filling in job application forms because he was unemployed.
5. Because I was walking quickly, I soon caught up with her.
6. The house was built of wood, so it was clearly a fire risk.
7. I was eager to catch the bus in good time because I had been told off the day before for arriving late.
8. She didn't know where the theater was, so she asked for directions at the hotel reception.
9. As she was a nurse, she knew what to do after the accident.
10. He had spent his childhood in Oslo so he knew the city well.
11. The fruit was expensive because it was imported.
12. We has spent nearly all our money so we couldn't afford to stay at a hotel.
13. As we didn't want to offend him, we said nothing about his paintings.
14. Although James is known mainly as a writer of novel, he has now written a successful biography.
15. Although it had been hunted close to extinction, the rhino is once again common in this area.
V. Choose the correct answer.
1. ______ for twelve hours, I felt marvelous.
a. Having slept
b. have slept
c. Having been slept
d. have been slept
2. By the time their baby arrives, the Johnson hope ______ painting and decorating the new nursery.
a. having finished
b. to have finished
c. having been finished
d. to have been finished
3. She's angry about ______ to the farewell party last night.
a. not having invited
b. not to have invited
c. not having been invited
d. not to have been invited
4. We decided not to travel, ______ the terrible weather forecast.
a. having heard
b. to have heard
c. having been heard
d. to have been heard
5. I'd love ______ to the party, but it was impossible.
a. having gone
b. to have gone
b. having been gone
d. to have been gone
6. I don't recall ______ him at the conference.
a. having seen
b. to have seen
c. having been seen
d. to have been seen
7. ______ in dark colors, the room needed some bright lights.
a. Having painted
b. To have painted
c. Having been painted
d. To have been painted
8. The stockbroker denied ______ of the secret business deal.
a. having informed
b. to have informed
c. having been informed
d. to have been informed
9. They now regret ______ their son by providing too many material possessions.
a. having spoiled
b. to have spoiled
c. having been spoiled
d. to have been spoiled
10. ______ to the party, we could hardly refuse to go.
a. Having invited
b. To have invited
c. Having been invited
d. To have been invited
11. Tom made a bad mistake at work, but his boss didn't fire him. He's lucky ______ a second chance.
a. having given
b. to have given
c. having been given
d. to have been given
12. Are you sure you told me? I don't recall ______ about it.
a. having told
b. to have told
c. having been told
d. to have been told
VI. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1. The missing children were last seen ______ (play) near the river.
2. ______ (complete) the book, he had a holiday.
3. ______ (find) only in the Andes, the plant is used by local people to treat skin diseases.
4. The accident seems ______ (happen) at around 1. 00 p. m yesterday.
5. Do something! Don't just sit there ______ (twiddle) your thumbs.
6. Last year I studied abroad. I appreciate ______ (have) the opportunity to live and study in a foreign country. .
7. ______ (look) down from the hill, the town spread out before us towards the coast.
8. Marta doesn't like to have her picture ______ (take). She avoids ______ (photograph).
9. I don't agree with ______ (smack) children if they do something wrong.
10. The book ______ (publish) last week is his first novel.
11. ______ (photocopy) all the papers, Sarah put them back in the file.
12. I found a coin ______ (lie) on the sidewalk.
13. Our mechanic said that he expects ______ (fix) the brake on the car before we pick it up.
14. Life must be unpleasant for people ______ (live) near busy airports.
15. ______ (park) the car about a kilometre from the stadium, I walked the rest of the way.
VII. Choose the correct alternatives. Sometimes both are possible
1. He insisted to pay/ on paying for the meal.
2. The interviewer started off to ask/ by asking me why I wanted the job.
3. What am I going to do? I forgot bringing/ to bring my calculus text, and I need it for the review today.
4. I can clearly recall him saying/ his saying that he was meeting 'Sarah at eight o'clock.
5. Mrs Gates appreciated serving/ being served breakfast in bed when she wasn't feeling well.
6. You'd better save/ to save some money for a rainy day. You can't count on rescueing/ being rescued by your parents every time you get into financial difficult.
7. Waiting/ Having waited six months for the washing machine being delivered/ to be delivered, I decided to cancel/ cancelling the order.
8. By telephoning/ In telephoning every hour, she managed to speak/ speaking to the doctor.
9. The ticket enables you visiting/ to visit both the museum and the art gallery.
10. Watching/ Having watched television to the exclusion of all other activities is not a healthy habit for a growing child.
11. Now I remember you ask/ your asking me to bring sandwiches to the picnic. Your complains about my forgetting/ having forgotten things seem justified. I'm sorry.
12. No one could make Ted feel/ to feel afraid. He refused to intimidate/ to be intimidated by anyone.
13. The government plans to bring/ bringing in new laws forcing/ making parents to take more responsibility for the education of their children.
14. When I was in the supermarket I noticed a man to take/ take some food off the shelf and hide it inside his coat.
15. I overheard her tell/ telling Jack that she was serious ill.
VIII. Read the text carefully, then choose the correct answers
I was with Overseas Volunteers (OV) for a year after leaving university, and I was sent to an isolated village in Chad, about 500 km from the capital N'Djamena. Coming from' a rich country, I got quite a shock as conditions were much harder than I had expected. But after a few days I soon got used to living there. The people were always very friendly and helpful, and soon I began to appreciate how beautiful the countryside was.
One of my jobs was to supply the village with water. The well was a long walk away. And the women used to spend a long time every day carrying heavy pots backwards and forwards. So I contacted organization and arranged to have some pipes delivered. We built a simple pipeline and a pump, and it worked first time. It wasn't perfect - there were a few leaks, but it made a great difference to the villagers, who had never had running water before. And not only did we have running water, but in the evenings it was hot, because the pipe had been lying in the sun all day. All in all, I think .my time with OV was a good experience. Although it was not well-paid, it was well worth doing, and I would recommend it to anyone who was considering working for a charity.
1. The author ______.
a. has been working for OV for a year
b. is living in the capital N'Djamena
c. was born in a rich family
d. used to be a volunteer working in a remote village
2. How did the author feel when he arrived in the village?
a. surprised b. impressed c. disappointed d. depressed
3. Which of the following is not true?
a. It took a lot of time to take water home from the well.
b. The villagers used to live in conditions without running water.
c. A pipeline was built to carry clean water to homes.
d. Solar energy was used to heat water.
4. The word 'It' in line 13 refers to ______.
a. running water b. the pump c. the pineline d. the supply of water
5. What does the author think about his time with OV?
a. It was paid a lot of money. b. It was not worth working.
c. It wasted time. d. It provided good experience.
*Tải file để xem đáp án chi tiết*
Trên đây là Bài tập tiếng Anh 11 Unit 4 Volunteer work có đáp án. Mời thầy cô tham khảo thêm nhiều tài liệu ôn tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 cả năm khác như:Để học tốt Tiếng Anh lớp 11, Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 theo từng Unit trực tuyến, Đề thi học kì 1 lớp 11, Đề thi học kì 2 lớp 11,... được cập nhật liên tục trên VnDoc.com.
Để chuẩn bị tốt cho năm học 2021 - 2022 sắp tới, mời quý thầy cô, các bậc phụ huynh và các em học sinh tham gia nhóm Facebook: Tài liệu học tập lớp 11 để tham khảo thêm nhiều tài liệu các môn học khác nhau.