Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 1 có đáp án
Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 1 có đáp án
Nếu bạn quyết tâm học anh văn để gia nhập vào môi trường học tập bằng tiếng Anh, việc luyện tập nhuần nhuyễn các bài tập trong chương trình học là không thể thiếu, riêng cái này bạn hoàn toàn có thể học tốt được. Chúng tôi xin giới thiệu Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 8: Celebrations Số 1 có đáp án để bạn nâng cao kĩ năng.
II. LANGUAGE FOCUS
A. Choose the one word or phrase - a, b, c, or d - that best completes the sentences or substitutes for the underlined part.
6. Family members who live apart try to get together ______ Tet.
a. in b. at c. on d. during
7. Most towns put ______ a Christmas tree, a fir tree decorated with colored lights, shiny balls, tinsel and bows.
a. on b. in c. with d. up
8. On Christmas Eve children go to bed full ______ excitement.
a. of b. with c. up d. in
9. Agrarian people depend on the lunar calendar to prepare for their crops.
a. gardeners b. planters c. farmers d. highlanders
10. There is a ______ mood everywhere on New Year's Day.
a. popular b. good c. optimistic d. festive
11. In Britain and America, it is ______ for everybody to sing 'Auld Lang Syne' on New Year's Eve.
a. tradition b. traditional c. traditionally d. traditionalism
12. Children are always ______ about Tet holiday.
a. excited b. interested c. keen d. concerned
13. I shook hands and ______ a few words with the manager.
a. uttered b. expressed c. exchanged d. converted
14. Jane is a very sociable girl. She likes parties and ______.
a. rituals b. ceremonies c. traditions d. celebrations
15. Shopping malls are decorated for Christmas from September, ______ most people do not do their Christmas shopping until December.
a. though b. because c. so d. so that
B. Choose the one word or phrase -a, b, c, or d- that best completes the sentences.
16. The number of students who knew the answer to the last question on the exam ______ very low.
a. were b. was c. have been d. has been
17. ______ waiting to hear the results.
a. Everyone was b. All was c. Everyone were d. All were
18. 'We need new curtains.' 'Okay, let's buy ______.
a. one b. ones
c. some with flowers on d. ones with flowers on
19. ______ the furniture ______ arrived yet.
a. None... has b. None... have c. None of... has d. None of... have
20. A number of students ______ in intensive language programs abroad nowadays.
a. participated b. has participated
c. have participated d. is participating
21. Every one of the boys and girls in the school ______ what to do if the fire alarm
a. knows - rings b. know - rings c. knows - will ring d. would know-rang
22. Some of these people are friends of mine and ______people from the office.
a. the rest is b. the rest are c. rest is d. rest are
23. Knowing several ______ helpful if you work for an intemational corporation.
a. languages are b. language is c. languages is d. language are
24. Three hours______ a long time to take on the homework.
a. seems b. seem c. seemed d. has been
25. The Prime Minister, as well as several Cabinet Ministers, ______ in a tough financial policy.
a. is believing b. don't believe c. believe d. believes
A. Fill in each blank with one appropriate word to complete the passage.
New Year's Day is the (31) _______ of the year expected to bring most joy to everyone in China. Most people insist on doing (32) _______ right to prepare for the celebration. Good luck wishes (33) _______ on red paper are hung on the wails and doors of the houses. Living room decorated (34) _______ a lot of flowers is always full of laughter. Many families leaving every door and window (35) _______ at midnight
on New Year's Eve believe in letting the old year out and the New Year (36) _______. On New Year's Eve and New Year's Day people (37) _______ together and eat feasts of delicious, traditional foods. Everywhere there are a lot of children playing around in their brand new (38) _______. They are very happy to get some (39) _______ money from adults. They also enjoy dragon or unicorn (40) _______.
B. Read the passge carefully, then choose the correct answer.
Thanksgiving is celebrated in the US on the fourth Thursday in November. For many Americans it is the most important holiday apart from Christmas. Schools, offices and most businesses close for Thanksgiving, and many people make the whole weekend a vacation.
Thanksgiving is associated with the time when Europeans first came
to North America. In 1620 the ship the Mayflowers arrived, bringing about 150 people who today are usually called Pilgrims. They arrived at the beginning of a very hard winter and could not find enough to eat, so many of them died. But in the following summer Native Americans showed them what foods were safe to eat, so that they could save food for the next winter. They held a big celebration to thank God and the Native Americans for the fact that they had survived.
Today people celebrate Thanksgiving to remember these early days.
The most important part of the celebration is a traditional dinner with foods that come from North America. The meal includes turkey, sweet potatoes (also called yams) and cranberries, which are made into a kind of sauce or jelly. The turkey is filled with stuffing or dressing, and many families have their own special recipe. Dessert is pumpkin made into a pie.
On Thanksgiving there are special television programs and sports events. In New York there is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, when a long line of people wearing fancy costumes march through the streets with large balloons in- the shape of imaginary characters. Thanksgiving is considered the beginning of the Christmas period, and the next day many people go out to shop for Christmas presents.
41. In the United States, Thanksgiving is ______.
a. a religious celebration held by Christians only
b. celebrated as a public holiday.
c. more important than Christmas
d. apart from Christmas
42. According to the passage Pilgrims are ______.
a. people who travelled to America by ships
b. trips that religious people make to a holy place.
c. people who left their home and went to live in North America in the early 17th century;
d. Native Americans who live in North America.
43. All of the following statements are mentioned EXCEPT ______.
a. People celebrate Thanksgiving to thank God
b. People usually have traditional dinners on Thanksgiving
c. There are lots of entertainments on Thanksgiving
d. People go to churches for religious services on Thanksgiving.
44. On thanksgiving ______.
a. turkey, yams and pumpkin pies are served
b. people join in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
c. people wear coloured carnival masks matching through the streets
d. people go out to shop for Christmas presents
45. Which of the following is not true?
a. In the US, Thanksgiving is not a national holiday; it's a religious holiday.
b. Christmas comes Jess than a month after Thanksgiving.
c. Thanksgiving was originally celebrated by the first, Europeans in North America to thank God for their survival.
d. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade are colourful and exciting.
Choose the sentence - a, b, c or d - that is closest in meaning to the printed one.
46. It never occurred to me to go by train.
a. I used to go by train. b. I was used to going by train.
c. I never find it boring to go by train d. I never thought of going by train.
47. I should have studied last night, but I was too tired
a. I couldn't study last night because I was very tired.
b. I studied last night, so I was very tired.
c. I tried to study last night but I felt bored.
d. I didn't study last night because I felt very bored.
48. The doctor said, 'You really ought to rest for a few days, Jasmine.'
a. Jasmine's doctor insisted that she should rest for a few days.
b. The doctor suggested that Jasmine should take a short rest.
c. The doctor strongly advised Jasmine to take a few days' rest.
d. It is the doctor's recommendation that Jasmine rested shortly.
49. The sooner he stops smoking, the better he'll feel.
a. As soon as he feels better, he'll try to stop smoking.
b. When he stops smoking, he'll begin to feel better.
c. He feels so much better since he stopped smoking.
d. Though he feels better, he still smokes.
50. The coffee was not strong. It didn't keep us awake.
a. The coffee was very strong, but it couldn't keep us awake.
b. The coffee was so strong that we couldn't sleep.
c. The coffee was not strong enough to keep us awake.
d. We was kept awake because the coffee was strong.