Bài tập nâng cao tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 9 Cities of the future có đáp án
Bài tập Unit 9 lớp 11 Cities of the future có đáp án
Bài tập tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 9 Cities of the future nâng cao có đáp án dưới đây nằm trong bộ đề ôn tập Tiếng Anh nâng cao lớp 11 theo từng Unit do VnDoc.com sưu tầm và đăng tải. Đề kiểm tra Tiếng Anh Unit 9 lớp 11 có đáp án gồm nhiều dạng bài tập trắc nghiệm Tiếng Anh lớp 11 khác nhau được biên tập bám sát chương trình học giúp học sinh lớp 11 củng cố kiến thức đã học hiệu quả.
Part I. PHONETICS
Exercise 1. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
1. A. dweller
2. A. commercial
3. A. inhabitant
4. A. upgrade
5. A. disposal
Exercise 2. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
6. A. organiser
7. A. presentation
8. A. renewable
9. A. familiar
10. A. overcrowded
Part II. VOCABULARY
Exercise 3. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
11. Local authorities should find ways to limit the use of private cars and encourage city ______ to use public transport.
A. Commuters B. planners C. dwellers D. people
12. To get ready for the presentation, we can start preparing the slides while Jeremy will do the ________.
A. speaking B. telling C. talking D. speech
13. Located about 60 km southwest of Seoul, this eco city has been planned around a Central park and designed so that every resident can walk to work in the business______ .
A. District B. area C. location D. organisation
14. The waste ______ system here is also innovative. There are no rubbish trucksor waste bins in the Street.
A. Dump B. disposal C. landfill D. throwaway
15. London is a/an ________ city. It’s a melting pot for people from all parts ofthe world.
A. International B. national C. metropolitan D. cosmopolitan
16. Cities in poorer countries often lack basic _______ . Without it, they are unable tofunction properly as cities.
A. Structure B. construction C. infrastructure D. condition
17. The _______ of living m some places can be very high. Prices in London areparticularly exorbitant.
A. Value B. price C. worth D. cost
18. Urban ______ is prevalent in most cities. Everywhere you go there are buildingsites, pedestrian precincts, blocks of flat, and housing estates spreading into the countryside.
A. Sprawl B. expansion C. widening D. spread
19. This safe, _____ friendly city is like a paradise for its inhabitants who canenjoy the highest quality of life.
A. Environment B. Environmental C. Environmentally D. environmentalist
20. _____ waste is putting city dweller’s health at a real risk.
A. Treatment B. Untreated C. Non-treatment D. Non-treated
21. Every month, scientists invent new gadgets and _______ to help us with our dailylives, and discover ways to make existing technology faster and better.
A. Experiments B. effects C. laboratories D. equipment
22. Unlike the country where the day often ends quite early in the evening, the cityoffers its people exciting_________ .
A. Activities B. performances C. nightlife D. night clubs
23. The roads are terrible. I’m always getting __________ in traffic.
A. Stuck B. lost C. exhausted D. late
24. A pedestrian ______ is a specified place on the road where people can cross.
A. Crossroads B. Crossing C. junction D. T-junction
25. Everything’ s bit more expensive here and property prices are extremely high.A lot of people have no choice but to live in the _________ and commute in to work.
A. Outskirt B. suburbs C. city D. urban
26. It’s much safer for cyclists to get around these days with cycle ________ everywhere.
A. lanes B. streets C. roads D. paths
27. The _______ is where you’ll find all the large department stores and banks.
A. City heart B. town hall C. city centre D. business district
28. Exhaust _______ from cars are responsible for much of the air pollution in cities.
A. Fumes B. smokes C. gases D. smog
29. Many factories still allow ________ , such as toxic waste, to flow into our rivers.
A. Pollution B. litters C. garbage D. pollutants
30. Many commuters struggling to work through the rush-hour ________ ask ‘Is it worth it?’
A. Congestion B. vehicles C. roads D. accidents
31. It is, perhaps, the daily stresses and _________ of the city which make life there a matter of survival rather than of enjoyment.
A. Depresses B. strains C. demands D. challenges
32. Most cars nowadays are fitted with a security __________ of some kind.
A. Motor B. gadget C. tool D. device
33. The greenhouse_______ takes place when certain gases in the atmosphere trap sun’s heat.
A. Emission B. gas C. effect D. affect
34. Pollution and heavy traffic are common problems in ___________ cities.
A. Cosmopolitan B. modem C. metropolitan D. overcrowded
35. Millions of people around the world still live in poverty. They are strugglingevery day simply to _______ .
A. Get up B. get by C. get on D. get round
Exercise 4. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
36. Today Islamabad is a thriving city of about 1 million people. It offers a healthy climate, a pollution-free atmosphere, plenty of water, and many green spaces.
A. Healthy B. prosperous C. modem D. green
37. Scientists hope that this new drug will be a major breakthrough in the fight against AIDS.
A. New cure B. important therapy
C. Sudden remedy D. dramatic development
38. They design and carry out projects aiming to reduce fossil fuel consumption, find renewable fuels for public transport, and promote other clean air efforts.
A. Inexhaustible B. recyclable
C. Green D. environmentally-friendly
39. The urban planners are working for Eco Infrastructure Network, whose main function is to deal with urban environmental problems to make Super Star City greener, cleaner, and more sustainable.
A. Eye-catching B. developed
C. Long-lasting D. friendly
40. If we have solar panels on our roofs, we’ll be able to generate our own electricity.
A. Afford B. produce C. manufacture D. light
41. I believe the government will use advanced technology to build faster trains and make people’s life more comfortable.
A. Modern B. expensive C. public D. latest
42. Many city dwellers, especially those in developing countries, still live in poverty.
A. People B. migrants C. immigrants D. residents
43. These projects have proved to be very effective in dealing with global climate change, which was considered an insoluble problem in the first 30 years of this century.
A. Hard B. challenging C. unsolvable D. unbearable
44. There’s a real mix of people in Brighton, It has a very cosmopolitan feel to it.
A. Busy B. hectic C. multi-cultural D. diversified
45. People who hold optimistic view believe that cities of the future will increase the general well-being of individuals and societies.
A. Health state B. quality of life
C. Level of development D. growth rate
Exercise 5. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word(s) in each of the following questions.
46. If I take the pessimistic viewpoint, Tokyo won’t be a safe place to live in.
A. Negative B. optimistic C. optical D. neutral
47. To reduce carbon emissions into the atmosphere, ways to limit the use of private cars must be found.
A. Public B. personal C. common D. shared
48. People who live in towns and cities live in an urban environment.
A. Remote B. deserted C. suburban D. rural
49. There is pollution not only of the physical environment because the various pressure of urban life causes cities to breed crime.
A. Social B. mental C. moral D. manual
50. Governments have to join hands to solve the environmental problems on a global scale.
A. Worldwide B. nationwide C. local D. international
Part III. GRAMMAR
Exercise 6. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
51. This is the right DVD, _______ ?
A. Isn’t this B. is this C. isn’t it D. is it
52. I’m not the only one,_________ ?
A. aren’t I B. am I C. am not I D. are not I
53. Let’s go out tonight, _________ ?
A. Shall we B. will we C. could we D. would we
54. Don’t forget to write to me soon,_______ ?
A. Would you B. could you c. can you D. will you
55. Nothing frightens you,_______ ?
A. Does it B. doesn’t it C. do they D. don’t they
56. Somebody’s just called my name, ______?
A. Hasn’t he B. didn’t he C. haven’t they D. have they
57. I suppose you don’t like the course,________ ?
A. Don’t I B. do I C. don’t you D. do you
58. Everyone’s going to be there,_______?
A. Isn’t he B. is he C. aren’t they D. are they
59. We never enjoy our city break,________?
A. Do we B. don’t we C. have we D. haven’t we
60. There will be more and more mega-cities in the world,_______ ?
A. Will it B. won’t it C. will there D. won’t there
61. No one wants to live in a polluted city, ________?
A. Do they
B. don’t they
C. does he
D. doesn’t he
62. I think city dwellers can enjoy an exciting nightlife, _________ ?
A. Don’t you think
B. don’t I
C. Can’t they
D. can they
63. There’s hardly anything that can be done to reduce pollution, _________ ?
A. Isn’t there
B. is there
C. can it
D. can’t it
64. You have to wear uniform when going to work, _________ ?
A. Haven’t you
B. have you
C. do you
D. don’t you
65. We are supposed to submit the assignment by Friday, ________ ?
A. Don’t we
B. are we
C. aren’t we
D. do we
66. Put these flowers near the window,________ ?
A. Will you
B. would you
C. could you
D. all are correct
67. None of the old people likes living in urban areas, ________ ?
A. Do them
B. does he
C. do they
D. don’t they
68. Neither of the locations was ideal for a new shopping mall, ______?
A. Were they
B. was it
C. weren’t they
D. wasn’t it
69. I believe nothing serious happened,__________ ?
A. Did it
B. didn’t it
C. do I
D. don’t I
70. Sophie has got no major problems living in the new city,____?
A. Hasn’t she
B. has she
C. does she
D. doesn’t she
Exercise 7. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
71. Sarah will be very annoyed if Dave ________ her this evening.
A. Won’t call
B. not call
C. doesn’t call
D. will call
72. When you ________ with your Computer, can I borrow it?
A. Have finished
B. will finish
C. Will have finished
D. are finishing
73. If you like peace and quiet, _________ move to the town to live.
A. You won’t
B. you will
74. If you go by air, it ________ you around two hours to get to Ho Chi Minh City from Ha Noi.
A. Would take
75. _____ he do well in the exam, his parents will buy him an MP3 player.
76. You are expected to fasten the seat beit ________ you are driving.
D. all are correct
77. If you need help, ________me!
A. Will tell
B. let’s tell
C. let tell
78. If unemployment is rising, people _________ to stay in their current jobs.
B. will tend
C. have tended
D. would tend
79. If you see Karen, _________ you ask her to call me?
80. If you bully someone, you ________them to do things against their will.
A. Will force
D. would force
Exercise 8. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
Part IV. SPEAKING
Exercise 9. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct response to each of the following exchanges.
91 “ _____ ?” – “It’s ten minutes’ walk from here.”
A. How long does it take to get to the town centre?
B. Can you show me the way to the town centre?
C. How far is it from here to the town centre?
D. How can we get to the town centre?
92. “What a boring lecture!” – “ _______ ”
Ạ. Yes, it was dull, wasn’t it?
B. I don’t agree. It’s dull.
C. It’s interesting, wasn’t it?
D. I’m sorry not.
93. “I believe people will have a better life in the future.” – “ _______ Life will be
more enjoyable than it is today, won’t it?”
A. No, I don’t think so.
B. Not exactly.
C. Yes, I agree.
D. You can’t be right.
94. “______“ – “That’s right. London will be cleaner and more sustainable.”
A. This means there’ ll be no pollution, will there?
B. This means there’ ll be no pollution, won’t there?
C. This means there won’t be no pollution, will there?
D. This means there’ ll be no pollution, doesn’t it?
95. “What’s the weather forecast?” – “ ________ ”
A. Don’t forget your raincoat, will you?
B. Don’t forget your raincoat, do you?
C. It’s going to rain. Don’t forget your raincoat, will you?
D. It’s going to rain. Don’t forget your raincoat, do you?
96. “Global warming will continue to be a big threat to life on earth.” – “_____”
A. We can’t afford to ignore its effects any longer.
B. Then we can’t afford to ignore its effects any longer, can we?
C. So don’t ignore its effects any longer.
D. Please don’t ignore its effects any longer.
97. “Oh, I’m sorry! Am I disturbing you?” – “ ________ ”
A. Sure, you’re a real nuisance!
B. You’re such a pain in the neck!
C. No, never mind.
D. No, you’re OK.
98. “In 2050, London won’t be a good place to live in, will it?” – “ ________ ”
A. Exactly, it will be. B. On the contrary, it will be.
C. I’m Sony, it will be. D. Unfortunately, it will be.
99. ‘Tm going to the supermarket now. Do you need anything?” – ________ ”
A. Get me some cheese and some oil, may you?
B. Get me some cheese and some oil, can’t you?
C. Get me some cheese and some oil, could you?
D. Get me some cheese and some oil, couldn’t you?
100. “I don’t have any plans for tonight.” – “ ________”
A. Why not going to the cinema with me?
B. I suggest to go to the cinema.
C. Let’s go to the cinema, shall we?
D. What if going to the cinema?
101. “What if I quit more than 3 sessions?” – “ _______ ”
A. You won’t take the final exam.
B. You wouldn’t take the final exam.
C. You wouldn’t be able to take the final exam.
D. You can’t take the final exam.
102. “ ______ ” – “Yes, I love it here. Everything I want is only five minutes away.”
A. It’s convenient to live here, isn’t it?
B. It’s comfortable to live here, isn’t it?
C. It’s inconvenient to live here, isn’t it?
D. It’s uncomfortable to live here, isn’t it?
103. “City dwellers are always so busy, aren’t they?” – “ ________ ”
A. No, they aren’t. Everybody’s rushing about all the time.
B. Not really. Everybody’s rushing about all the time.
C. Fm not sure. Everybody’s rushing about all the time.
D. Yes, everybody’s rushing about all the time.
104. “ _____ ” – “London’s so big. It took me ages to fínd my way round.”
A. What about London? C. How was London?
B. What was London? D. How about London?
105. “Most cities aren’t safe places to live, are they?” – “ __________ ”
A. No, I’m afraid. There are always what they call ‘no-go areas’.
B. Yes, they are. There are always what they call ‘no-go areas’.
C. Well, the opposite is true. There are always what they call ‘no-go areas’.
D. On the contrary. There are always what they call ‘no-go areas’.
Part V. READING
Exercise 10. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct word or phrase that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
Where can you go in January for almost guaranteed sunshine – without travelling for most of the day to get there? The answer is Marrakech in Morocco, a four-hour (106) ________ from Britain, where the average temperature is a pleasant 66°F.
Marrakech is a city of (107) ________ beauty, with its pink buildings and green palm trees contrasting with the snow-covered (108) _________ of the Atlas Mountains in the distance. For tourists, there’s the added attraction of excellent food at reasonable prices, and high quality accommodation, such as Hotel La Momounia, (109)________ as one of the top hotels in the world. (110) ______ Marrakech is one of Morocco’s busiest and most modem cities, the influence of the Middle Ages is still very evident. (111) ________ can admire the battlements, towers, and mosques, which were built (112) __________ centuries ago.
And forget about shopping malls – for perfumes, fabrics, antiques, spices and crafts, (113) _______ the ‘souks’, open-air market places where you’ll almost (114)_________ find something to take back home. For those who want to (115)_________ sport Marrakech has plenty to offer. (116) ______ to golf and tennis, there is also skiing on the slopes of the high Atlas Mountains, where the (117) __________ of the surrounding area are quite spectacular. Alternatively, you could just relax by a heated swimming pool and dream of your next visit.
(Source: Ready for FCE)
106. A. travel
107. A. big
108. A. peaks
109. A. thought
110. A. Because
112. A. several
113. A. work out
B. put up with
C. head for
D. make up for
114. A. likely
115. a. do
C. take off
D. go in
*Tải file để xem đáp án chi tiết*
Mời bạn đọc tải trọn bộ tài liệu ôn tập và đáp án tại đây: Bài tập nâng cao Tiếng Anh lớp 11 Unit 9 Cities Of The Future. Ngoài ra, VnDoc.com đã đăng tải rất nhiều tài liệu ôn tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 cả năm khác như: Để học tốt Tiếng Anh lớp 11, Bài tập Tiếng Anh lớp 11 theo từng Unit trực tuyến, Đề thi học kì 1 lớp 11, Đề thi học kì 2 lớp 11,.. Mời thầy cô, quý phụ huynh và các em học sinh tham khảo, download phục vụ việc học tập và giảng dạy.